Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New opening in a brick veneer wall - installing new brick ties?

Hello,

I need to enlarge an existing opening (an old window) in a brick veneer wall for the installation of a new glass sliding door.

I need to install new brick ties around the perimeter of the new opening to ensure the brick veneer is well tied to the timber frame. The existing wall has ties set into the mortar that are nailed to the frame around the existing window, but next to no ties where the new opening will eventually end.

What is the best way to retrospectively tie a brick veneer wall to the frame? The inner wall lining has been removed so access is not a problem. Should I simply purchase some brackets and Dynabolt them to the brick and nail to the frame studs?

Thanks in advance,

Grant Johnson

GrantJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,124

Hi Grant, I think that if you check with your local masonry/brick supply yards you'll find that they carry brick ties for repair work. You drill through the mortar and install the tie.

So are you just leaving cut brick edges around the opening? It might look better to remove the cut bricks and replace with brick salvaged from the opening.

When you say the wall lining has been removed do you mean the drainage plane and sheathing? You want to be sure to have a good properly installed drainage plane behind the brick and good properly installed flashing around the door opening to protect your framing.

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi Jogr,

Thanks for the response. I was planning removing bricks in a saw tooth pattern next to the opening, then repairing with half bricks left over from the opening.

Thanks for the heads up on the repair ties - I'll check it out.

By lining I mean the inner wallboard. Flashing, etc will be re-installed as part as the door installation.

Thanks again,

Grant
GrantJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,124

Since you are mortaring in the half bricks you can just use regular brick ties in the fresh mortar.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote