New & Old Sheds Joined To Make An 'L' - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New & Old Sheds joined to make an 'L'

Hi,
I've an existing 8x12 shed w. 6/12 roof pitch and rough cut 2x4 walls. It is too small and the attached garage on the house is converted into office space and utility room so I need to build a workshop for tinkering on my old motorcycles.

I plan on doing a 12x20 with 10 foot walls (same height as existing shed) and same 6/12 roof pitch (good for high snowfalls here in the GWN).

Instead of moving the existing shed to the opposite side of the yard as the wife suggests, I'd like to simply slide it sideways, build the new 12x20, then slide the old shed against the new one and attach them together in a pleasing 'L' shape, leaving the other side of the yard for landscaping.

The existing shed is on two 6x6 treated skids and I am thinking of doing the new 12x20 on three or four 6x6 skids with an insulated floor.

What framing tricks do I need to learn to:
a) join the two sheds walls together?
b) frame the old sheds roof to the new one?

Thanks,
Brent in Northern Alberta, Canada

Advertisement

rider75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Now I know how people feel about my "Talk me off this ledge post"!

'Tis many a slip between the cup and the lip.

How much framing do you know?

You'll need a drawing. Probably several.

I like to build things a few dozen times on paper or in SketchUp before I Demo anything.

Pictures, lots of pictures

Advertisement

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Stay-at-home GC

It sounds like the existing shed is not sitting on concrete footings but on 6x6 treated lumber laid flat on the ground?

If that is the case you should start by reading on Concrete Footings. Frost heave may be OK for a little old shed but it will tear apart your work in a hurry.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Custom Home Builder

Rewards Points: 75

Sounds like a job for the LoneFramer.
Lone?????
thomasjmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Yes, we here in the Great White North have some experience with frost heaves. Anyone who has travelled northeast out of Grande Prairie, AB can tell you all about them. Kept trying to bring home a carton of dairy cream, kept arriving with butter!

The ground does move around a bit from season to season but aside from readjusting some door latches to accommodate, it is not too bad here at our place. Yes the existing shed is on 6X8 skids on a base of compacted 3/4 crush gravel. I plan on doing the same for the "Bigger Half" of my backyard motorcycle tinkering shop and man cave/hide-out. I am more worried about wind here in sunny west side Nampa. I am thinking of cementing in large galvanized steel anchors with 90 degree bends, sort of hooks, to grapple the outside edges of the outer two skids. These suckers are left over from a construction project and are four feet long. I figure if they are stuck 3 1/2 feet into concrete poured into 6" diameter holes with the bottoms "belled", the darn thing should stay stuck to the ground in all situations except tornado or hurricane. Even then, at least the skids would probably still be there in the morning.

It's all speculation now as I don't plan on turning sod till next summer anyways. Gotta learn though. Study the heck out of it, then build when ready. Kinda like measure twice, cut once, nes pas?

rider75
rider75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Stay-at-home GC

A good book on general construction and framing will be helpful.

My first, was Carpentry & Building Construction by Spence.

I stopped buying them after my bookshelf started to sag. Now I wear out my library card. I am just starting to look into Google Books as well

Beware the glossy photo models sold in HD and other Big Box stores. Long on entertaining photos and short on details.

One consideration is getting the old structure level and square at least temporarily. Framing an L shaped roof is going to be a headache otherwise.

Take a long weekend and teach yourself the basics of Google SketchUp. It's free for non-commercial use, easy to learn and has loads of free tutorials on YouTube. You don't need to be a Master at it for it to be useful.

I usually build everything a few times in SketchUp before I lift a tool.

Advertisement