New Mudroom "Attaching Sill Plate To Concrete Patio" - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new mudroom "Attaching sill plate to concrete patio"

Hello everybody
I live in western Colorado with winters not to pleasant with the winds. What I have is a west facing back door which leads out to a concrete slab/porch and is 30'x15' and is not part of the house foundation. It is slightly sloped for run off. When I resided the house I installed a 2" angle garage door steel seal that is slightly sloped ( about 80 degrees) as a flashing to keep water from running down between the house and concrete slap. It's very functional and looks good.
What I would like to do is build a 8'X6' or smaller mud room off the back door wall onto the concrete slab using the concrete as the floor for wear if possible. My question is, How will I anchor the 2x4's composite wood sill plates to the concrete and make it float and how would I attach the 2x4 wood studs to the composite wood sill plates.
I thought of cutting 4" slits down the center every 2 feet in the 2x4 composite wood sill plates with a circular saw and using concrete anchor bolts tighten to a torque just loose enough to allow for movement and using the garage door steel seal for flashing and sealing.
As to attaching the wood studs to the wood composite sill plates could I use deck screws in place of nails?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Chris

http://www.youtube.com/user/strangefire1?feature=mhum

Advertisement

Last edited by wildonewest; 11-08-2010 at 12:48 AM. Reason: adding my websight
wildonewest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

why the video link?

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,052

Break out the old slab for the new mud room and get a permit.Then pour a new footing and stem walls to elevate the siding the required distance above the earth. That will hold up the walls/roof/windows/door of the structure. Then pour a new slab tying it to the house with steel bars as per your engineering notes, first putting down the required vapor barrier plastic so moisture doesn't constantly wick into the new room to mold on the ceiling and walls. Do you mean composite deck boards instead of pressure treated wood? Plastic and wood fibers glued together that can easily rot as they do on decks that are not an acceptable framing sill plate?

Gary
wildonewest (11-09-2010)