New Member Wants To Build A Tree House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Member wants to build a tree house

Hello,

My name is Shawn and I'm glad to join the group. I'm married, 2 kids, boy 9 and girl 5. I've never been much of a handy man, but with my son I'm starting to learn a little bit. We built a small bridge across the creek but now he wants to move on to bigger things. He wants a tree house. The fun is building it with him. I'm looking to build something simple, probably 6 feet off the ground with a roof, a hoist and a floor trap type door. That's a must, he says he has to have that one! I will probably use one tree (maybe two) in the construction to support a corner or two.

So I'm just looking through the web for ideas, run across this site and thought I would give it a try. I'm thinking something with 3 or 4 - 4x4's, some 2x6's and 3/4 inch plywood for the floor. My idea is to look at some pictures, talk to a few friends and a little overkill. If you have site, an article or some basic tips I'd appreciate it.

Oh yeah, the roof - no idea, but I figured i could figure something out but right now it's about the floor not falling in and not doing so much overkill it collapses while bringing down the trees with it!

I realize this is vague and I'm a novice, so I'm just looking for a starting point. Fortunately at my place of business I have a LOT of guys with this type experience and I can bounce stuff off them and even have them check this out, but I want this to be something with my son. he's fired up about this one!

Thanks

Advertisement

Shaneguh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

The main thing is you two have fun doing it together (I remember my son and I building his first) and even more important be careful in the trees!

Advertisement

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Well done Dad! Building good memories are what a stable healthy childhood is all about. In the end it does not matter how fancy you guys make it, just that you tried. Thats the part he will remember
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 680

I used to make up to three story ones in back of my house in the woods. There was not a building site within 2 miles of my house that was not missing something that we "borrowed" to build them since we had no money.
One thing to concider is to not build it attached the the tree. Make it free standing instead. Reasons being it's far easyer to build, trees sway in the wind and tend to pull things apart, it can kill the trees, trees are round the lumber your using is not so the attachment points can be weak.

Make sure you use all pressure treated lumber, only use ACQ approved fastners.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote