New Member With Question On Support Beam - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new member with question on support beam

hi everyone, just found this site and it looks pretty awesome. espeacially since Ive been doing some remodeling. I have been wanting to put some added support beams in my basement. My home is 28' wide with a center beam so from the rim joist to the center beam is almost 14'. My floor joist are 2x8 set on 16" centers. I think that is a little on the lite side espeacially considering the remodeling I'm doing upstairs(my home is a single story ranch style) I would like to run a beam down the middle of each side at about the 7' mark just to help support the load and stiffen the floors. My question is would that be enough support and how far apart should I place my support post? Also what would be the best style beam and how wide and thick should it be to do the job? Thanks all and again awesome site.

Advertisement

pointer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer80 View Post
hi everyone, just found this site and it looks pretty awesome. espeacially since Ive been doing some remodeling. I have been wanting to put some added support beams in my basement. My home is 28' wide with a center beam so from the rim joist to the center beam is almost 14'. My floor joist are 2x8 set on 16" centers. I think that is a little on the lite side espeacially considering the remodeling I'm doing upstairs(my home is a single story ranch style) I would like to run a beam down the middle of each side at about the 7' mark just to help support the load and stiffen the floors. My question is would that be enough support and how far apart should I place my support post? Also what would be the best style beam and how wide and thick should it be to do the job? Thanks all and again awesome site.

So you are thinking of reinforcing the joists? Have you considered any future renovations in the basement and how they may be effected by the new beam? Is it feasible to sister every other joists or something along those lines? Why kind of remodeling are you doing? Adding large jacuzzi tub?

Advertisement

psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #3

I do not plan on any remodeling in the basement and there is to much stuff in the way to sister the joist(wires, plumbing etc.) thank you.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer80 View Post
I do not plan on any remodeling in the basement and there is to much stuff in the way to sister the joist(wires, plumbing etc.) thank you.

So what are you doing that requires the extra support?
psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilva8 View Post
So what are you doing that requires the extra support?
I'm guessing there's some bounce to the floor.
For resale value/buyer appeal (cos you WILL sell it at some point) you may want to avoid more beams and posts. You could stiffen the whole floor by screwing boards 12"-16"oc perpendicular to the joists. It won't add strength, but it will add stiffness which I think you're saying is the objective
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #6

The reason I want to add beams is because I feel 2x8 joist are just too week espeacially to build on. I will probably not sell because I live on ten acres and have a heated shop and at 48 yrs. old I'm happy were I'm at. The one thing I would like to know is how many support post I would have to install. The length of the house is 52'. How far can I go between post and what size beam would provide adequate support. thank you.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 528

You could use 2 2x8 for the beam or just mimic the current center beam

Spacing of posts also could mimic the center beams posts.

Remember you need to cut the concrete floor out and install a thicker concrete footers for the posts.

If it was me I wouldn't worry about it, unless you were going to be tiling a portion. The 2x8's floor joints are most likely sufficient.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Welcome, I'll just say briefly that circumstances can change and there will eventually be a point where the value of the house is important. This will diminsh the usable space in the basement, and could create an impression that the structure is suspect, both of which negatively will impact value and likelihood of success in selling the house.

There are difficult aspects to what you are considering if you mean to do it right. As already has been mentioned, your support posts will need to be supported by footings which will require you to break the concrete floor, dig out and pour, setting your attachments for your posts into the footing cement.

Even more difficult would be creating similar support for the ends of the beams. Your current center beam is probably supported by a beam pocket in the basement wall. That's a lot easier to create while you're building the basement wall. You could support the end with a post, but it won't be as clean.

The type of beam will have a bearing on how many supports are needed... If you have a steel I-beam chances are you would need more posts if you were considering a built up wood beam. Ultimately this should be specified by an engineer that reviews your project on site.

For what it's worth, I picked up a framing book in Home Depot and it has some basic span tables that helped me get some rough ideas what to expect ahead of contacting my engineer to specify the plans I used to permit and execute my project.

Advertisement

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote