Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New member..building post & beam

Hey everyone, I live in Vermont and we are building an Organic Farm from scratch. I am clearing my 7 acres of mature trees by pushing over to pull stumps to prep for cultivation. I have a new Bandsaw mill and I am milling all my timber for several large buildings and a greenhouse which I will heat via a new wood boiler system. Needless to say, I will need advise and ideas from time to time and like this site. I am looking forward to meeting new friends for exchange of ideas and problem solving.

At present I will be looking for sizing and placeing a concrete pier foundation for one of these projects. It is my Shop bldg. 40 x 60 with truss roof. Soils are clean sand and light gravel all the way ..no water or freeze issues. Placing piers @ 10' oc / 4' deep and thinking of useing a 10" hole with re-bar and widened base to support 6x6 columns 10' high single story. Plan for a 60# snow load. Also plan to pour hand mixed concrete directly into 10" augered holes. Any suggestions / ideas would be appreciated. ( I will also do a seperat post )

Jerry

jpecor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
the Musigician

10" hole? you need to get an engineer/architect to do the math first, then build or i doubt it will pass inspection. we had 3' wide augered holes for this place...... tons of concrete, then 6x6 posts. and it's smaller than what you plan. do you have permits necessary? architectural drawings? big project you have there, just like mine! lol but there's lots of help here, some good folks too. hope this helps!

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:00 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 10

jpecor -

Welcome to the forum.

Pay attention to the suggestions you get. Your post rings of a reflection of some canned ideas without any regard to what your real needs and conditions may be.

After going through all that work to create a farm, it would be a distaster to have a problem with a key element that could be avoided by some professional help on your specific project, whether you need a permit or not. If the upper portion of a building goes down due to inadeqaute lateral bracing, it can be recycled or used for fuel, but you are our of business without a foundation that is really not able to be re-used.

"Clean sand and light gravel" is not always good. If you have moisture off your roof, that can saturate the upper layers that can freeze and lift a foundation because of the clean, loose soil. - Just an example of what can happen when you build something and alter the natural conditions.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #4

Hey Guys.... just talked to my engineer re these piers.... so I'm all set.

Bottom line is ... with 10' oc I need a base of 21" at foot of 10" sona. with 8' oc I need base of 18" . i will be using 10" sona tubes to prevent cave in during pour which could leave gaps in the pier and lead to frost heave problem. The tube will keep the edge of pier smooth so as not to give any frost a grip / hold on the pier to lift it.

Oh, and although not part of my question .... the structure is sound and all permitting is taken care of. For those who need to know....

Thanks for all your comments...
Jerry
Old 08-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 10

How do you plan to dig the 4 deep holes for the Sonotubes?

With that type of soil it could cave as fast as you go down unless it has enough fines and some moisture to hold it until you get the tubes in. I always worry about going deep in "clean sand", even though the digging/augering is easy.

Are you using the expanded width footings for the Sonotubes? Are using post attachment hardware embedded in the wet concrete? If so, backfill first to keep the tube in place before and after the the pour. The additional benefit with the tubes is that you reliably know how much concrete you will need and will use less than with a rough hole.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:32 AM   #6

Hey, I am using an auger.... test holes indicate a good hold that will allow tube insertion. have a scoop device that will clean the bottom out for a 20" base. Will use rebar and pour as one. Plan on no back fill if all goes well. We'll see. Thanks for the input.

JP
Old 08-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
General Contractor

Post a few pictures.....and what kind of bandmill did you buy? Always neat to see guys get into milling. Check out our sister forum, woodworking talk, or www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/ for interest in the milling....we also have a feedback thread on the Biomizer...a boiler that you can use to heat your home and burn sawdust.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote