Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Marine Electrician (LO)

Share |

New lap siding, and level issues

Hey folks, quick question.

I am residing the front of my house with Hardieplank lap siding. directly in front of the front door is a concrete step and walk area. The walk area and step is almost dead level, so my first instinct was to measure bottom up, place my starter strip also dead level, and work up.

However, I also checked for level at the top right under the rafter ends. From the western corner to the door (15 feet in) it's out of level almost exactly 1.5".

I'm not 100% sure how this is, but I need to know, what's the best way to deal with this? I really don't want to install brand new siding out of level with anything, but I think that it's better to keep things level to the most obvious areas (door and concrete step/walk) than to the rafter ends or roof. If I ever have the roof repaired, I can probably fix the level at that time, at least that's how I see it.

Is there a good way to hide that 1.5"? What's the best solution?
30Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #2

in case like this you can either keep all level and let the top look way out of level or adjust siding reveal a 1/8 at a time after door header and work it out to look close or level at soffit
jaydevries is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaydevries For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Five View Post
Hey folks, quick question.

I am residing the front of my house with Hardieplank lap siding. directly in front of the front door is a concrete step and walk area. The walk area and step is almost dead level, so my first instinct was to measure bottom up, place my starter strip also dead level, and work up.

However, I also checked for level at the top right under the rafter ends. From the western corner to the door (15 feet in) it's out of level almost exactly 1.5".

I'm not 100% sure how this is, but I need to know, what's the best way to deal with this? I really don't want to install brand new siding out of level with anything, but I think that it's better to keep things level to the most obvious areas (door and concrete step/walk) than to the rafter ends or roof. If I ever have the roof repaired, I can probably fix the level at that time, at least that's how I see it.

Is there a good way to hide that 1.5"? What's the best solution?
get yourself a set of siding gauges you buy them from herehttp://www.pactool.us/geckogauge/index.htm.
you might just need to adjust the courses a little bit over the rest of the job or restart!
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Marine Electrician (LO)

Only problem with those gauges is that they are only adjustable to 1/4" increments, so a consistent 1/8" overage on reveal wouldn't be possible. Thanks all the same.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #5

Post a picture to help us picture what you have.
What I always do is install 1 X vinyl lumber under the door and scribe it to fit tight to the stoop.
Hardee will start to flake if it's in direct contact with the stoop. It needs to be at least 2" away from the top surface so the vinyl takes care or that problum.
Also at some point someone's going to kick off some dirt on there shoes and break that Hardee if it's under the door.
I use a self leveling lazer level and run the siding straight and use a freeze board to cover the top area at the soffits to cover that out of level area. Looked better then crocked siding.
I've done it both ways running at an angle and running it straight.
I got stuck having to do a whole wall over because the customer did not like the siding cut at an angle under the windows and over the sliding door.
Both ways will work just sharing what happened to me.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Marine Electrician (LO)

I will post a picture as soon as the dark clouds pass. I have my sheathing covered with plastic right now. I already have 1x6 vinyl lumber that will run corner to corner of the house, over the steps, and under the door. The Hardieplank will be 6" away from the main concrete walk, 1' from the ground, and 3-4" from the step in front of the door.

I'm thinking that hiding the level issues up top will be the best solution. I'd hate to spend all this time and money to purposefully run the siding at angles.

Last edited by 30Five; 02-27-2012 at 10:00 AM.