Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New ladder advice

We recently did some work around the house and had to rent a 10 foot ladder. The extension and step ladders that we had were not long enough. I had to do some exterior painting and I can't believe how safe I felt on that 10 foot aluminum step ladder. Anyway, I want to buy my significant other a new ladder for his birthday in August. Any suggestions - 10 foot ladder, those Little Giant ladders, what is a good all purpose ladder so we don't have to rent again and will have what we need?
Any suggestions are welcome.

kathyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,024

New ladder advice

Personally, I like my Little Giant for it's versatility, but, even so, it is not the only ladder that I have. And, it is definitely not the lightest ladder to move around. As with many types of tools, one may not meet all of your needs. Was the project or task that you needed the 10' ladder for unique, or was it related to ongoing maintenance? In other words, is it something that you would use frequently, or, as an example, every 10 years or so? Do you go on the roof to clean the gutters, etc.? Is your house a ranch, or multi-level? Do you have space to store an extension ladder? These are rhetorical questions, in that they are the types of things that you should consider before making a purchase. Maybe, since you just went through the rental process, you could have some idle chit chat with your SO in time to get their input.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

New ladder advice

I'm a fan of fiberglass ladders--not aluminum.

Here's why--they are safer when doing electrical work.

They don't get bent up----

Not black hands from aluminum oxide.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,126

New ladder advice

I have a 17' Werner ladder that I love. It can be a short or tall step ladder or if I straighten it out, it can go up to 17' high. Here's a link to the one I'm talking about:

http://www.wernerladder.com/newprods/mt.php

One nice thing about it is that it doesn't take a lot of storage space. When it's at it's smallest size, it's 25" x 7" where it's widest at the bottom and only 55" tall.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

New ladder advice

6' fiberglass is great for consistent interior work, but is too short for outside gutter work.

8' fiberglass is great for most interior work (need to take care in set-up as it is taller than some ceilings) and usually allows for gutter cleaning on most single story roof eaves.

Both above are light-weight and versatile.

The little giants and werner described are totally awesome in that they can cover the interior and exterior with unparalleled versatility. The only downfall is their weight. That 17' one described is 40lbs. If handling a 4-50lbs ladder is no issues, then I would spring for one of them.
AGWhitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote