Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new house old basement

Thanks for your opinions on this. Hope this is not an idiotic question, but me and construction go together like oil and water.

We currently live in a Modular home in rural, country area on a farm. We have a basement that goes under the full length of the Modular - about 71 feet by 32 feet, so a rather long basement.

We want to remove the modular and build a new house on our same space, utilizing the basement. Here's my question in a round about way..

The new house obviously is not the same dimensions. From side to side it's much shorter and from front to back, it is longer. Can we utilize the current basement in some way or do we rip out the entire basement and start over, pouring a brand new basement?

Thanks for your input

abkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

new house old basement

You'll need to have a structural engineer look at the existing foundation and footing to determine if it is structurally adequate to support the loads imposed by your new home. There is a good chance that you can use it to some extent. The engineer can use a rebar locator to check for adequate reinforcement, and will also check things like wall thickness, footing dimensions, and drainage systems. He'll also design a way to tie the new portions of wall into the existing portions, which is a connection that always requires an engineer's help (reinforcement and water infiltration).

Your best bet is to first determine if the local code official will allow the engineer's report. Most will, some won't. The I-codes allow use of an approved 3rd party engineer, so local ordinance should be the only hurdle. Since you're rural, you may not even have codes. USE THE ENGINEER FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION AND PEACE OF MIND. It will probably only cost a few hundred dollars.

Keep in mind that you'll have to tear up portions of your floor to allow for installation of the drain plumbing under the slab.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #3

new house old basement

KCtermite,
Thanks for answering my question - at least now I know this can be done. Good suggestion to get a structural engineer to come up with a plan of action. No use building a new house if we're gonna try to skimp on reworking the foundation. Just wish I'd known what kind of house I wanted when we first got married...was just a giddy, clueless bride back then Thanks for your help!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

new house old basement

If the engineer determines a more than suffcient foundation, you may want to consider using steel floor trusses and have a slab poured over the unused portion and build a garage in place.

But again, it's critical to determine load capacities.

But I see a 32x36 Cape with a nice breezeway and a pretty decent size attached garage in the making here!

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:11 PM   #5

new house old basement

Hey CrossWorks,
Great idea with the garage. House will be a Bungalow. No McMansion for us. Can't imagine a giant house with farm equipment scattered around it ala Beverly Hillbillies! Thanks for your response.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:17 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

new house old basement

Ya, with the way things are these days a call for big ideas may have to take the back burner. Good luck with everything!

www.crossworksme.com
"Where Every Nail Has a Purpose!"
CrossWorks is offline   Reply With Quote