New House, New Problems. Need Wall Answers - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New House, new problems. need Wall Answers

1920's home. Load Bearing Wall.

so in effect. a simple wall was put up to close of a small dining room and then a non load wall was removed to make a large bedroom.

Having no use for a bedroom downstairs and the paneling having to go Ive removed all the paneling.

In removing the paneling and drop ceiling i found that what i previously believed was a lathe and plaster living room wall.. is actually a very terribly sanded old drywall wall.

Which opens a world of possibilities.

Being that this wall IS load bearing. I dont want to fully remove it.

There is a section in the middle where ducting is run. I would like to just open a 10 foot section of the wall. and create load bearing supports around the 6'X3' duct.

The header runs the length of the house.

Now that i am leaning towards opening this wall.

Essential in the end it will look like large " m " as there is allready a 8x8 walkthrough for this wall which is original to the house.

Calling for permits tommorrow.

?????????

How much do permits cost ballpark is fine. ( central upstate NY)

do i need to get an engineered beam for this total 10foot section?

do i really need to get a structural engineer in to assess? and whats a ballpark figure?

I have a certified contractor who does good work and has been well reccomended in the area for 20 years. he is willing to work with me for $100 a day and good dinner / drinks. ( friend of the family) we will be doing this project on the weekend.

just looking for some simple answers / ballpark figures. Ill have pictures in a day or so.

Advertisement

MerrittHII is offline   Reply With Quote