New Home Measurements Not Matching CADS - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New home measurements not matching CADS

We are currently building a home. The contract we originally signed showed the floor plan with a living room for 14' X 20'10" We also printed the same info off the builders website. We proceeded, went over our CADS and the drywall was recently hung. We've been on top of the entire building process double checking to make sure we are getting what we are paying for. We decided to measure all rooms and our living room is only at 14' X 20'5". I understand there is appx 1/2" discrepancy due to drywall for all measurements throughout the house. However the living room is off 5 inches, and I'm not impressed with our construction managers explanation.

He showed us the Framing page on our cads and explained that the measurement is taken to the OUTSIDE of the living room wall. This is the only room that is showed this way. My cousin is an architect and he said the explanation of how they came up with 20'10" is correct (he showed me the little dash mark on the outside of the living room wall), but he said it's odd that is the measurement they are using for sales material.

So, did we get jipped 5 inches of our living room space, or is there another explanation? We've already encountered a couple of shortcuts the builder trying to take, so we don't trust anything they do. Is the builder being deceitful to sell homes this way? Any advice for us? Thanks!

Advertisement

iub98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

It doesn't sound like a building error. It sounds like an error on the CAD rendering where the author snapped to the wrong side of the line when drawing his dimensional features. Then, the sales office (or whoever) trusted the CAD drawing to be correct, when the author had made this error.

That would explain why the other rooms are correct, but this one is not - just a simple mistake of snapping on the wrong side of the wall, that nobody caught.

Advertisement

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #3

Thanks for your quick response! All of the rooms to the south, east and west of the living room are correct in measurements (they match the cads, sales material, etc). There is no where else to squeeze the 5 inches out of, unless you include the stud, drywall and even the siding on the outside of the house to get a living room measurement of 20'10". My concern is they told us our living room would be 20'10" when in fact it is 5 inches less and they are using a misleading measurement on their sales material. Again our sales material said 20'10", but we are only measuring it to be 20'5". Does that make sense, or did I not understand your response? I know nothing about construction, all I know is we are short 5 inches and cannot understand why. Thanks
Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Building sizes are measured to the outside walls
That's pretty standard
My addition is 24x36 & that is what all the plans show
But inside is smaller

Since we don't know your floor plan layout without that its kinda hard to say
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 580

If your only complaint is 5" of length in one room, I would say you are lucky.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by iub98 View Post
My concern is they told us our living room would be 20'10" when in fact it is 5 inches less and they are using a misleading measurement on their sales material. Again our sales material said 20'10", but we are only measuring it to be 20'5". Does that make sense, or did I not understand your response? I know nothing about construction, all I know is we are short 5 inches and cannot understand why. Thanks

I sincerely doubt they are trying to mislead you intentionally. 20'10" will not sell any more houses than 20'5" on the sales material - especially with only one room. It was an error in the way they measured it in CAD, which nobody in the sales department would have had any way of knowing existed when they made their brochures. They would have just copied the numbers over. Even another CAD author wouldn't have any reason to zoom in and double-check the work of someone else, to find that only one line of measurement is off.

If you want to raise-hell with the sales people to see if you can get something out of them (a free upgrade or something, maybe some fee waived) you could give that a try. In the last house I owned (built from builder in cookie-cutter community) they failed to tell me something and when I complained they remedied the situation by putting the vaulted ceilings in the master bedroom at no-charge to me. However, I'm looking at 5" on my engineering scale here, and I don't know if it's going to be worth more than lunch, especially on one room..
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Ayuh,... If anything,...
I'd mark it up as a Typo by somebody in the development of the brochure that was missed by the proofreaders..

No harm, No foul, Honest mistake......
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
If your only complaint is 5" of length in one room, I would say you are lucky.
Far from it. Just another complaint on the never-ending list of problems.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
However, I'm looking at 5" on my engineering scale here, and I don't know if it's going to be worth more than lunch, especially on one room..
Please correct me if I'm wrong, again I'm not a pro here. 5" x 14' = 5.8 sq ft. @ $110/sq ft (what we are paying) it would be $640 worth of house we are paying for and not getting, correct?...Assuming it was intentional. I'm hoping for a simple mistake, however we have found out the hard way we are dealing with a crooked bunch For example, they screwed up the architectural front style of the home in the very beginning, and then told us to pay $5000 to help fix it...don't think so! Also the kitchen countertop is seamed together in FIVE places that isn't necessary (only one is necessary given the size that the laminate sheets come in). Their explanation is they can only order so much laminate for the job. Just a couple of examples of why we are so leary of their explanation. Thanks for your input everyone!
Old 02-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, again I'm not a pro here. 5" x 14' = 5.8 sq ft. @ $110/sq ft (what we are paying) it would be $640 worth of house we are paying for and not getting, correct

Incorrect on all of my experiences thru the years.

You're square footage is is based solely on the exterior footprint of the dweeling: Meaning either the foundation or the outside of house framing. You will never have as much interior square footage as exterior footage. It's just the way it is due to the walls having dimension & taking up some of the square footage.

If you have trust in you're cousin, the architect, & he agrees it's not a problem, I'd let it drop, & focus on more important issues.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #11
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

If the exterior dimensions of the house (this is what they use to sell to you @ $110 per sf) happen to measure 4" larger than the original plans, would you be just as eager to pay, say $1000, for the extra square footage you got?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
If the exterior dimensions of the house (this is what they use to sell to you @ $110 per sf) happen to measure 4" larger than the original plans, would you be just as eager to pay, say $1000, for the extra square footage you got?
Of course not. And I shouldn't be expected to. If they accidentally gave me too much of something that can't be returned now, then that is their error. You can't expect someone to fork over $1000 for something that isn't their fault. If it was something on a smaller scale that I could give back, yes, I would....and I have! Someone gave me too much change, I give it back. If I asked for 4 of something and they gave me 6 and I caught it, I would give them back. However, when I buy something, I expect to get what I am paying for...period!

And thank you to jomama45 for you explanation of calculating sq ft. I was unaware it is taken from the outside.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Of course not. And I shouldn't be expected to. If they accidentally gave me too much of something that can't be returned now, then that is their error. You can't expect someone to fork over $1000 for something that isn't their fault. If it was something on a smaller scale that I could give back, yes, I would....and I have! Someone gave me too much change, I give it back. If I asked for 4 of something and they gave me 6 and I caught it, I would give them back. However, when I buy something, I expect to get what I am paying for...period!

And thank you to jomama45 for you explanation of calculating sq ft. I was unaware it is taken from the outside.
Exactly. I imagine you understood how the square footage of the house is figured. Otherwise, why would you not have already added up all the square footage of all the rooms, and gone to the builder concerned that you were getting far less square footage than you are being charged for.

You see, the floor area taken up by all the hundreds of square feet of wall space 'footprint' adds up to sometimes enough to make another small room in the house.

Try it. Go get your plans. Add up all the rooms. You will come up with nowhere near the square footage you have been told your house contains.

Now, if there was a realistic and valid reason that you needed that 5" for some special furniture to fit into, then I might understand your ire. You have not so stated. So I suspect you will probably find you won't be inconvenienced by the 5" any more than you would need a room 21'-3" if it happened to work out that way.

You seem to be angry, and looking for some way to level what you feel is an imbalanced playing field. Can't blame you, really. But it's a losing battle to go at it on the basis of square footage price for the whole house.

Last edited by Willie T; 02-25-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #14
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, again I'm not a pro here. 5" x 14' = 5.8 sq ft. @ $110/sq ft (what we are paying) it would be $640 worth of house we are paying for and not getting, correct?...Assuming it was intentional. I'm hoping for a simple mistake, however we have found out the hard way we are dealing with a crooked bunch For example, they screwed up the architectural front style of the home in the very beginning, and then told us to pay $5000 to help fix it...don't think so! Also the kitchen countertop is seamed together in FIVE places that isn't necessary (only one is necessary given the size that the laminate sheets come in). Their explanation is they can only order so much laminate for the job. Just a couple of examples of why we are so leary of their explanation. Thanks for your input everyone!
did you contract a $/sq footage? If not, your point has no merit.

and if you want to argue that, does this discrepancy alter the outside dimension of the house?

is there someway to post your drawing online so we can view it?

5" is roughly the thickness of a typical wall (3 1/2 + 5/8" + 5/8" = 4 3/4") so what I would suggest is the same thing as many others and either there was a mistake in measurements entered or they took the dimension to the wrong aide of the wall.

based on some of the other problems you note (especially the countertop situation) I am not saying to just give up but make sure you are correct before making any sort of argument.

btw: unless I am really misreading the countertop thing, they would be replacing it before I took possession. It sounds to be outside the standards of any level of acceptable workmanship.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,052

Compare: http://books.google.com/books?id=oxd...age&q=&f=false

Be safe, Gary

Advertisement