Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #1

Share |

New Home Construction Question

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, I did a quick forum search but nothing seems to match.

I was reviewing a building in my first due area today and photographing it for an upcoming training class. I found something that I consider odd, but it may be standard practice for here in NJ. The roof of this single family home was built up with all truss construction, peaked roof design. The roof over the garage structure (attached to the home) revealed 2 x 12's would be my best guess as they were already in position, instead of truss construction. What is the pro vs con of this type of construction? I figured Truss to save money, but why frame the garage roof with dimensional lumber? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm having a hard time rationalizing this one.
wikkie650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #2

pictures?
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #3

How big is the garage? If the span is short, dimensional lumber is fast and cheap. Yes: "pics?"
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:22 AM   #4

I will get pictures up once I can get them off of my camera, I'd like to consider myself tech savvy but wow, there are too many adapters for different types of memory cards nowadays. It was probably 30' front to back, so your answers make sense. I'll post them as soon as I can, doubtful that it will be today or tomorrow though.

Thanks for the input up to this point.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikkie650 View Post
I will get pictures up once I can get them off of my camera, I'd like to consider myself tech savvy but wow, there are too many adapters for different types of memory cards nowadays. It was probably 30' front to back, so your answers make sense. I'll post them as soon as I can, doubtful that it will be today or tomorrow though.

Thanks for the input up to this point.
You have to remove your memory card? Most cameras have a tiny jack you just plug one end of a wire into, and the other end into your computer. It's all mostly automatic from there.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikkie650 View Post
I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, I did a quick forum search but nothing seems to match.

I was reviewing a building in my first due area today and photographing it for an upcoming training class. I found something that I consider odd, but it may be standard practice for here in NJ. The roof of this single family home was built up with all truss construction, peaked roof design. The roof over the garage structure (attached to the home) revealed 2 x 12's would be my best guess as they were already in position, instead of truss construction. What is the pro vs con of this type of construction? I figured Truss to save money, but why frame the garage roof with dimensional lumber? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm having a hard time rationalizing this one.
Dimentional framing over the garage allows for storage, that's probably the reason.
rustyjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 AM   #7

http://www.diychatroom.com/members/w...uction-photos/

I'm sorry, I'm not sure how to link to photos here.

@Willie T, I have a cable to transfer the photos, but I also have cables to what seems like 90 other devices and finding the right one is harder than pulling the card out of the camera.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
Handyman

How to attach a photo to a post
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #9

Gracias.

Edit: Wow, if that sticky had been a snake, I would be dead right now. Sorry, long night in the firehouse.