Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

New generator - Where do I put it??

The hurricane took out our power for about 24 hours. I was in a Lowe's store and someone was returning an unused generator so I grabbed it:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/generators-pressure-washers/portable-generators/detail/?name=5500+Watt+Storm+Responder&id=%7BE868308A-5E8B-4C64-8577-0276A14241DB%7D

The power came back on 5 minutes after I unboxed it. I'm going to keep it, because my wife would never allow me to buy another one. I live in a townhouse (for now) which I own and at first I was thinking I would build a platform under the deck for the generator, and have it attach to the cement base of my house for security, like an eye-hook or something.

However, when I started researching it I found that because of carbon monoxide, I shouldn't put it under my deck and attach it to my house?

Where do people put these and how do you stop people from stealing them?

For right now, I drained the gas back into the can, ran the generator till it stalled and wheeled it down to the basement until I need it next, but I'm worried that when I do need it, I'll have to put it in the middle of the yard were it will get stolen.

Anyone have any advice for this please?

spikesnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

I store mine in the shed. when a storm is expected I wheel it out and put under the deck, up near the house, and throw a cover over it. When the power goes out i wheel it toward the outer edge of the deck, ( with the muffler facing away from the house ), remove the cover and fire it up.

I would think that if you did something similiar you could leave it locked up when not in use if you are worried about theft. When it's running you'd probably be able to tell quickly if someone shut it off and tried to walk away with it as even the high dollar "quiet ones" are pretty loud. Plus if you are using it to power lights in the house, the second they go out you'd probably go check on the genny and catch the theif in the act. They aren't going to be able to move too fast pushing a genny that big

Last edited by Mr Chips; 09-01-2011 at 09:03 AM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
I store mine in the shed. when a storm is expected I wheel it out and put under the deck, up near the house, and throw a cover over it. When the power goes out i wheel it toward the outer edge of the deck, ( with the muffler facing away from the house ), remove the cover and fire it up.

I would think that if you did something similiar you could leave it locked up when not in use if you are worried about theft. When it's running you'd probably be able to tell quickly if someone shut it off and tried to walk away with it as even the high dollar "quiet ones" are pretty loud. Plus if you are using it to power lights in the house, the second they go out you'd probably go check on the genny and catch the theif in the act. They aren't going to be able to move too fast pushing a genny that big
Good point on the theft thing, I would only run it when I'm there so even the dog would know

I guess for now I'll leave it in the basement. I'm not looking forward to bringing it up the steps but if the power is out I'm sure a neighbor would help in exchange for some watts
Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
DIY Hack

Do yourself a favor. Get in the habit of pulling it out of the basement at least a few hours before a storm is forecast to hit and BEFORE the power goes out. Start it up and let it run for a couple minutes when you do bring it out.

there is nothing worse than struggling in the wind and rain to get your $800 generator out of the basement in the pitch blackness, only to find out it won't start because of a $2 piece of rotted fuel line or fouled spark plug
Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #5

I wonder if they make any lockable deckboxes I could store it in with it's gas cans, under the deck.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
DIY Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikesnet View Post
I wonder if they make any lockable deckboxes I could store it in with it's gas cans, under the deck.
SunCast and Rubbermaid make those little lockable enclosures for trashcans, lawnmowers and such, that open wide and the lid usually lift up as well, which would make it easy to get them in and out.

I can't imagine they'd be very secure, made of plastic and all, but then again if people see it they'd probably assume it's trash cans, compost bin or the like.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #7

Yea, I was thinking if it was out of sight, it would be safe.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

I make a point to exersize my generator once a month - pull it out and run it for half hour to so - plug something in to ensure it's making electricity.

Keeps it in good shape and ensures it's ready when needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to vsheetz For This Useful Post:
Mr Chips (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 04:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,136

ours is under the deck bolted down to a conc slab,,, battery & power out box are in the bsmt,,, if someone tries to hoof it out from under the deck the way its in place, 9mm hollow points won't stop him/it better to have it & NOT need it than wish you had 1 when you need it
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #10
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,358

It wouldn't be advanced carpentry to build a wood enclosure---
Old 09-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Our storage for our generator looks like a large, shingled dog house.

That design more or less deals with both problems. Who wants to rip off a dog house?

DM
Old 09-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikesnet
The hurricane took out our power for about 24 hours. I was in a Lowe's store and someone was returning an unused generator so I grabbed it:

The power came back on 5 minutes after I unboxed it. I'm going to keep it, because my wife would never allow me to buy another one.
my husband wants one badly. "if we lose everything in the freezer it would have paid for a generator" my only problem with it is:

In four years our power has been out for a total of 6 hours...

By the Monday after Irene out publicly owned utility was sending their crews out to other counties, 'cause thy didn't have anything left to fix
Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
my husband wants one badly. "if we lose everything in the freezer it would have paid for a generator" my only problem with it is:

In four years our power has been out for a total of 6 hours...
It's just a crapshoot. When we started building our log home in a very rural area of Eastern WV, long-time locals said we'd better have a generator because "the power goes out all the time." So we budgeted for a whole-house standby unit. We were living on the property in our RV during construction, so I did buy a 3500-watt portable just in case - we are snowed in at least once every winter, one time for six days straight. But other than occasionally exercising it, the generator has never been used. Neither have we bothered with the whole-house unit. True, the power goes out a lot, sometimes two or three times a week, but the longest outage in 3 years has been for 10 seconds.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Our storage for our generator looks like a large, shingled dog house.

That design more or less deals with both problems. Who wants to rip off a dog house?

DM
Cat burglars.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (09-02-2011)
Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #15
the Musigician

Har-de-har-har...

DM