Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2010, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New foundation walls - is this normal??

Need advice from anyone experienced with poured concrete. Our foundation walls for our new house were poured on a Friday and the contractor started taking off the forms on the following Wednesday and finished on Friday. The walls look horrible! I've been in a number of finished new construction homes and don't remember any that looked like this. The forms stuck to the concrete in places leaving behind discoloration and even peeling wood, there are ridges where the concrete seeped a bit between the forms, there are large lumps of concrete where the pins that held the forms together is protruding. I need to know if this is the normal appearance of concrete after removing forms. Also is there something that is standardly good practice to do to improve the appearance. We don't plan on finishing the basement but did want it to look better than this!

Teresa1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #2

As long as everything is plum, straight, level and square it looks like a normal foundation pour when 1 1/8 panels are used. Take a grinder or cold chiesel to knock off the concrete around the ties.

timberframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

it looks normal to me... we usually remove the lumps and grind down the ties to get it better than that, and the contractor may plan to do it (at least on the inside walls). Ask them.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #4

Thank you both for your comments. What about the color variations. Some areas are brown. Is that common? In some places that are brown it can be peeled off. Wouldn't seem a good idea to paint over something that can be peeled off.
Teresa1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

That looks like the Form Release oil there. It will be fine. Eventually it drys out and won't be noticeable.
Very typical. And the colour will change as the concrete cures. It should get whiter. No worries there.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Where are you located roughly?

Those are walls poured w/ Advance-Duraform plywood 1 1/8" plywood forms. I've set, poured, & stripped hundreds of those beasts in my career.

A couple things:

The ties & small chunks of concrete surrounding them knock off with a hammer very easily. The metal ties are designed to snap when hit sideways with a hammer just slightly below flush with the surface. Easy but repiticious. My record is 17 ties in a row broken on the first hit.

The brown color is indeed some wood veneer left behind from the forms. regardless of how much form release they used, you'll always have some of that when the forms are left on that long. I'm guessing you're in a colder climate & cold recent temps are the reason they left the forms on so long. I would have pulled them already after teh weekend, but I don't know exactly what the weather was.

As long as they didn't use oil (especially recycled oil) for form release, the concrete color will slowly blend together. Putting your nose near the wall makes it fairly clear to determine this.

I'd probably just scrape the worst spots of the wall with a hammer as you're snapping the ties. Scrape teh wood with an ice scraper if it doesn't eventually fall off on it's own. If it still bothers you, a BREATHABLE paint could be used on all the walls.

BTW how tall are those walls, 10'?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,146

jo, top right of top photo - cold jnt or a crk ? off to woc next sunday - you handle it while we're gone, ok ?

note to thread originator - invest some $ now in managing eventual water intrusion into your new basement - the bldg code's 3mil asphalt emulsion's just designed to make you sleep soundly for the 1st yr - after that, you're on your own
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

The sill plate bolts look to be too far inward.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
jo, top right of top photo - cold jnt or a crk ? off to woc next sunday - you handle it while we're gone, ok ?

I saw it right away, I think a cold joint or just real stony crete from the end of a load. Have fun in Vegas, I'm a bit jealous!

note to thread originator - invest some $ now in managing eventual water intrusion into your new basement - the bldg code's 3mil asphalt emulsion's just designed to make you sleep soundly for the 1st yr - after that, you're on your own
What he's trying to say is upgrade to a better extrior damproofing now while it's easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
The sill plate bolts look to be too far inward.
Ron

I noticed that too. I could only assume that the house is getting a masonry veneer, but they didn't drop the ledge?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:15 AM   #10

The couple of links will give some info on what you need, but also you might want to give the builder a call to see what he has to say. If still unhappy then you might want to call an indepent inspector in

list your home repair jobs
Keith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

you should not be responsible for wall cleaning thats on the form installer
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Poured walls are ugly. Especially when first stripped. The contractor should hammer off the chunks where the ties go through and patch. Also where the ridges are where the forms meet are easily taken care of with a rubbing stone. All of this should be done by the contractor. Like others already said, Spend some extra money on a quality waterproofing system now or pay through the nose later. After the patches and rub down on the inside, paint it and it will look much better. IMO the outside above grade will always look like crap like most poured walls.

NJ Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, concrete, foundation, walls