Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New foundation on old home

Our home with roughly 1200 sq. ft. on the main floor is in need of a new foundation. It was built in the early 1920s and the brick foundation needs replaced. Right now, the basement is a crawl space and a small area that was dug out where the furnace and water heater are.

Any idea of rough cost to raise the house and pour a new foundation? I'd like to put in a full basement.

I'm getting to look for estimates, and was curious if anyone knew the approximate cost to raise the house and/or replace the foundation.

By the way, we live in Nebraska.

blank8ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

No one here could even guess on a price. No one's going to know your areas labor rates, what the soil conditions are ect.
Your going to have to call around to get prices.
I can tell you once you hear the prices your going to be looking for a plan B.

And no this is no DIY job at all.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #3
Busy DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

What is plan B?
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by picflight View Post
What is plan B?
Comes after plan A....
12penny (01-23-2012)
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,092

Quote:
Originally Posted by picflight View Post
What is plan B?
Move the house. Maybe not a lot... but enough.

Build a new foundation structure...
then have the new (7-800sf) first floor joists and walls pre-framed.

Have the house lifted with a crane (like when moving)...
Get the carpenter crew busy, busy, busy setting the foundation
and (new) first level load bearing walls all set up.

Have the crane set the old house on top of the new open plan first floor.
That becomes the Kitchen / Dining / Living Rm

The old Kitchen Dining / Living Rm becomes Master suite
with expansive master bath and 2nd floor laundry...
and clerestory entry hall.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 01-23-2012 at 07:57 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,130

You state that the main floor is 1200 square feet, but you don't say if there is a second or third floor. Inquiring minds would like to know.

As for your project, there are several conceptually different approaches that can be utilized. Plan A is to build a new foundation at a different location, with intent to lift and relocate the house onto the new foundation. Plan B would be to temporarily raise the house in its present location, demolish the existing foundation, excavate deeper if necessary, and install a new foundation. Plan C is to build an entirely new house at a different location on the lot, living in the old house while you do so. Plan D would be to demollish the existing house and foundation, live in a trailer or equivalent during reconstruction, and build a new house at the existing location.

Each of these options has different advantages/disadvantages, and of course different cost structures. You may want to consult with a local professional, probably an architect, to discuss options, and when you have settled on an approach, get bids. You are unlikely to get a useful cost figure from an online chat group without a well defined program, and if your program is sufficiently well defined, you can get a much better cost estimate by soliciting bids.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 618

I did a 24x46 in 2004 and the cost was $7000 for the lift/drop and 12 for the basement. But it was a two story and I had a lot of extras in the basement walls (built-in window wells and exterior entrance). These guys are hurting for work right now.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Similar to other posts, I have bought an 85 year old brick house, and had hoped to "repair" the basement (Montreal, Quebec). After I reviewed the basement with an excavation contractor yesterday, my hopes of repair became thoughts of despair, lol.
The old cement walls are crumbling, and he says too risky to try to underpin. He suggests we might only gain a foot by going down to the footings.
My question .. the house is 24 by 29, two storeys, brick walls. Can this be raised and a new foundation installed? If so, what kind of prices would I expect to pay today? ($20K - $80K ?) .. this is "Plan B" from Daniel in previous post.
ps: I am also doing an extension, so I can get some mutual economies here.
Ve2cy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

I believe this type of job can either be done in sections, or by using beams to hold the structure up while another foundation is built under it. They basically use the same methods as they would for moving it. As to whether you can go deeper for a full basement would depend a lot on soil and water conditions. It's a good soil without rock and no drainage issues that's a lot better than poor, sandy soil, with bedrock or a lot of water drainage problems.

But your best bet would be to start by contacting local foundation contractors and a civil engineer. This is definitely not a DIY job. You could certainly act as a general contractor, tying together all the subs (electric, plumbing, framing, foundation, etc).

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote