Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #1

Share |

new footings for addition, now water intrusion

New footings were installed to correct an permitted addition by licensed contractor. City inspected work. Now water has come in to the house near the slider and corner of room (see photo). The slab extends 3 inches beyond the footprint of the house for the relevant areas. A cement patch appears to be failing for the relevant area.

My initial reaction is that cracks in the area that appear to have been patched do not appear to be big enough to allow enough water in to really soak up the carpet.

The opening of the slider is at grade and the corner of the wall and slider is about 3 inches above grade.
Attached Thumbnails
new footings for addition, now water intrusion-dsc01715.jpg   new footings for addition, now water intrusion-dsc01716.jpg   new footings for addition, now water intrusion-dsc01718.jpg  

Last edited by sacseven; 04-14-2012 at 09:53 PM.
sacseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #2

Easy to see why waters coming in.
No door threshold should ever be even with any deck, stoop, or grade.
In the other area waters able to lay on top of that concrete (just guessing what it is from the picture) and work it's way into the wall and destroy the stucco.
If you look around on this site and any other DIY site you will see dozen of rotted out walls from the same mistakes.

Was the door set in a Jamb Sill?
http://www.jamsill.com/

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacseven View Post
New footings were installed to correct an permitted addition by licensed contractor. City inspected work. Now water has come in to the house near the slider and corner of room (see photo). The slab extends 3 inches beyond the footprint of the house for the relevant areas. A cement patch appears to be failing for the relevant area.

My initial reaction is that cracks in the area that appear to have been patched do not appear to be big enough to allow enough water in to really soak up the carpet.

The opening of the slider is at grade and the corner of the wall and slider is about 3 inches above grade.
How did this pas inspections? Of course water is going to get it...it HAS too!! Finished floor height should NEVER be grade level. Common Sense!! Plus it's not legal. Where I'm from it has to be minimum 6" above grade.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #4

Your slab should never extend past the exterior wall covering. This just invites capillary wicking of any water. Your stucco should have had a "weep screed" installed at the bottom, 2" above the exterior slab is minimum code (you have your own CA Code);http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...?bu2=undefined

Your slider is on a 2x ? to elevate it above the slab, which is wrong. As Joe said, a pan (or sloped ledge) should have been in the design. Stucco finish needs to be cut-back around the sliding door, door removed, 2x removed, pan installed, door installed, fix gap above door somehow......

No weep screed means your wall will deposit water on the extended slab to continually drain/leak inside. Design error, no caulking/sealant will solve, sorry.
The cement patch is terrible. Need to cut the stucco, install metal flashing on the slab ledge, add the weep screed, re-stucco. Extend the downspout away from the house.

Gary