Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

new drywaller needs help

This is my first and probably last drywall project. I have hung the drywall (looks good!). I used yellow mesh fiberglass tape on all seams. Now, I found out I have to use fast setting (dry) compound. I want to use the redimix compound. Is my only option to remove the yellow tape and start over? It's a small 10 x 13 bedroom. Advice from experienced drywallers is appreciated. Thanks.

Happy Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

new drywaller needs help

I wouldn't classify me as a professional drywaller but after renovating several rooms in my old farmhouse with drywall I'd say I was a little more then intermediate.

Anyway you can use the regular redimade compound with the yellow tape. We've done it in several rooms. Why would you think that you'd need to take the stuff off?

Weekend Warrior DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

new drywaller needs help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hiker View Post
This is my first and probably last drywall project. I have hung the drywall (looks good!). I used yellow mesh fiberglass tape on all seams. Now, I found out I have to use fast setting (dry) compound. I want to use the redimix compound. Is my only option to remove the yellow tape and start over? It's a small 10 x 13 bedroom. Advice from experienced drywallers is appreciated. Thanks.
You should use the fast set with the mesh. Otherwise, I would advise you to remove the mesh and apply paper tape with the ready mix compound.

If you use readymix with the mesh, it is prone to cracking. I know this, because over the years, we have had to fix such problems on certain drywall projects. Home owners who have asked "what they did wrong...they used the mesh tape and the ready mix compound?".

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-31-2008 at 03:01 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:03 PM   #4

new drywaller needs help

I have used the ready mix and the mesh with only a few problems with cracking, I never knew it'd matter, but thanks for the new bit of knowledge.
Weekend Warrior DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:22 PM   #5

new drywaller needs help

Well, the fiberglass tape package said to use only fast setting compound with it and the only fast setting compound I found at Home Depot was the dry kind that you have to mix with water. I'd rather remove the fiberglass tape and use paper tape with ready mixed compound.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:43 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

new drywaller needs help

Why? It isn't hard to mix. Use the 90 minute or 40 for the tape and fill coat, if you have confidence in your speed. Toss the left overs. Then use regular general purpose for the remaining coats.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #7

new drywaller needs help

Thanks to all for your fast responses. Really appreciate it!!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
BuilderRemodeler

new drywaller needs help

Set Fast Compound is a good idea for the first coat anyway.

It is a little more difficult to work with... but is this less work than removing the tape and starting over if somethings shifts down the road in five years?

We use set fast compound on everything for our first coat.
I am referring to Remodels and Home Addition tie ins.

Use a large number set fast compound to give you as long of working time as possible. 90 Minute or higher, 180, 360 if my memory is correct. Read your directions... Using a Sanding Sponge to smooth off rough edges can really be helpful prior to the mud setting up all the way. Note: Use the Sanding Sponge at the right time.
darylbrands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

new drywaller needs help

Same here.

On smaller jobs, we will use the quick set compound to do the first coat, and use ready mix to do the final coat.

The ready mix finish coat comes out smoother. It's easier to finish coat (thin coat) with, and sand.

BTW: We use the blue top "Light weight" compound for the finish coat. It's got a less "granular" surface when fully dried.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

new drywaller needs help

Just as an added piece of information, you will rarely see mesh tape being used by the pro's......I have used it for patches, and that is about it. It is not hard to master paper tape, and the results are better, IMO.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote