Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Deck Construction ?'s

Have a few questions regarding new deck construction:

1. Ledger Board:

a. What's the sticky rubberized material placed behind ledger boards called and is it necessary in addition to proper flashing (as seen on This Old House, DIY, etc)? Felt paper comparable substitute? How about the necessity of applying silicon caulk into lag holes prior to installing lag bolts?

b. I have a basement bathroom exhaust vent that was cut through a rim joist in order to vent outside. Can I cut the ledger board (in essence create 2 seperate ledger boards) to keep the location of the vent and use a 90 degree pvc pipe to vent down under deck (location of vent is 3' from edge of left side of deck and would be under decking boards)?

2. Footings:

a. What are the pros/cons of installing posts (either 4x4 or 6x6) in cement vs. using brackets attached to footing and posts? Ditto for use of footing forms?

usmcstormvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcstormvet View Post
Have a few questions regarding new deck construction:

1. Ledger Board:

a. What's the sticky rubberized material placed behind ledger boards called and is it necessary in addition to proper flashing (as seen on This Old House, DIY, etc)? Felt paper comparable substitute? How about the necessity of applying silicon caulk into lag holes prior to installing lag bolts?

b. I have a basement bathroom exhaust vent that was cut through a rim joist in order to vent outside. Can I cut the ledger board (in essence create 2 seperate ledger boards) to keep the location of the vent and use a 90 degree pvc pipe to vent down under deck (location of vent is 3' from edge of left side of deck and would be under decking boards)?

2. Footings:

a. What are the pros/cons of installing posts (either 4x4 or 6x6) in cement vs. using brackets attached to footing and posts? Ditto for use of footing forms?
A. the rubber sticky stuff is either grace shield. or ice and water shield.
B. yes you can as long as its in a bay between the joist's. But why not run one long one and drill through it from the inside out?
C. Brackets are made to secure the post to the footing and at the same time to keep the post off grade so it does not rot out prematurely.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the quick response. But...

Would like to know if the grace or ice/water shield, or use of felt as substitute, is required?

Looking at the area tonight, I noticed that the bath vent will actually be above the height of the ledger board. I'm building a 33'x7' porch deck. Can't go any higher due to my door threshold. Recommendations to a. lower the vent (requires patching hole and cutting new one in rim joist) or just vent to where it's currently located.

Reading around a bit more on this forum, I see why forms for footers and brackets are used. I also see use of expansion bolts - any reason not to use tapcon?

Thanks.
usmcstormvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

deck flashing.

http://www.flash.org/resources/files/HGCC_Fact23.pdf
stuccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcstormvet View Post
Thanks for the quick response. But...

Would like to know if the grace or ice/water shield, or use of felt as substitute, is required?

Looking at the area tonight, I noticed that the bath vent will actually be above the height of the ledger board. I'm building a 33'x7' porch deck. Can't go any higher due to my door threshold. Recommendations to a. lower the vent (requires patching hole and cutting new one in rim joist) or just vent to where it's currently located.

Reading around a bit more on this forum, I see why forms for footers and brackets are used. I also see use of expansion bolts - any reason not to use tapcon?
Thanks.
The ice shield would act as a barrier from water. it is just a better way to seal behind the ledger board and house wall.
As for the post cups they should be fastened with a foundation bolt embedded in the footing, I use the tapcon's to hold the cup in line with the girder.I don't know the codes there expansion bolts will work if allowed, Here its 5/8" threaded foundation bolts.
With the dryer vent could you relocate it on another wall.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote