Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Share |

New Deck

I'm budding a new deck in the backyard and need some information on the footings. The deck is going to be approximately 24x14. Should my footing be 12in. apart or 16in. Just what I've read about.

drose6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

New Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by drose6
I'm budding a new deck in the backyard and need some information on the footings. The deck is going to be approximately 24x14. Should my footing be 12in. apart or 16in. Just what I've read about.
Call YOUR building department and ask them. They will know.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #3

New Deck

Hope that's a typo, 12" to 16" apart will get a little crowded.
Since no one here's likly to know your local codes, what sizes of lumber you plan on using, what your local soil conditions area it would be hard to say.
May seem like a simple question your asking but there's more to it then just guessing by people here that could be anywhere in the world.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #4

New Deck

Don't folks get tired of giving the answer "call your building dept.". Of course everyone has the option of asking their building dept., that is always on the table. While I am a huge fan of permits and always get one, my local building dept. guys generally just act annoyed when I ask them questions like this and it'a often faster to just read a book. They try to give me as little information as possible and are available between 8:45 and 9:00 every third Tuesday with a full moon... maybe someone else has had the same experience...

Last edited by juryduty; 02-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.
juryduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

New Deck

Certainly many of us are tired of saying ask your building department. So let me offer an alternative. The Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide, available FREE on the internet, and often FREE from YOUR LOCAL BUILDING DEPARTMENT, includes everything you would ever want to know about how to construct a deck, including size and spacing of footings, size and spacing of beams, rails, stairs etc. Since there are an infinite number of possible spacings for footings, it would be difficult for anyone on this forum, or anywhere in the universe for that matter, to answer the OPS question. I suggest reading the manual, or talk to the building inspector if you prefer.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #6

New Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by juryduty View Post
Don't folks get tired of giving the answer "call your building dept.". Of course everyone has the option of asking their building dept., that is always on the table. While I am a huge fan of permits and always get one, my local building dept. guys generally just act annoyed when I ask them questions like this and it'a often faster to just read a book. They try to give me as little information as possible and are available between 8:45 and 9:00 every third Tuesday with a full moon... maybe someone else has had the same experience...
It would be a lot easier to give a great answer to a better posted question.
1 were the OP is from, that helps out a whole lot! Because the codes on the west coast are a whole lot different then on the east coast.
2. post a photo of what is going to be done like maybe a sketch or drawing would really help out
3. Also preface the question like hey I went to my building dept and I still have a few questions.
Then maybe a bunch of us would be far more helpful!
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:37 PM   #7

New Deck

Welcome to the forums!

Find the building Code your State is under, and go from there. http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

The prescriptive IRC Deck Code: http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf

No worries, everyone was a newbie once......

Gary