Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #1

Share |

New Construction Windows Smaller Than Opening

I have purchased a triple ganged window to replace three individual windows in a load bearing wall. The largest width I could get from the company I picked (Pella) is 6 inches narrower than the rough opening in the wall. The wall is finished inside and out, but I will be adding vinyl siding in the future. Can I just add a 2x4 to the RO and screw some plywood to the out side and caulk the seams where it meets the board and batten siding? Otherwise how am I suppose to do this? I really want to get this thing in before winter really sets in here ( I live in CT).
chronojosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

With pics, we may be able to help
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
Too Old

Sounds like you are on the right track, you need to fill in the gap properly 2x's will work. Are you setting the windows or are you having them set? Be sure you waterproof and seal the area properly.
At least the windows were smaller and not larger
Old 11-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #4

The windows in the attached picture (hopefully it uploaded) will be removed and as you can see, the inner wall is drywalled. I will have to patch in a piece at the sides of the window but no big deal. How do I properly waterprof and seal the outside where the pieces of plywood butt up against the board and batten siding?
Attached Thumbnails
New Construction Windows Smaller Than Opening-cache_000001339f421d4e89.jpg  
Old 11-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

You will need to make sure that the existing header is adequate to carry the load above. As for the trim issue, if ot is only short term, what you propose is probably ok.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
You will need to make sure that the existing header is adequate to carry the load above..
Why does he have to do that. The opening will be smaller.
woodworkbykirk (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

exactly as joe stated, all they need to do is reduce the opening size, this is done all the time.. the only time you need to worry a proper header when replacing a window is when your making the opening bigger

my question is why did teh window arrive 6" smaller than what the opening, was it ordered wrong or did you plan to install a smaller window
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
Framing Contractor

From the pic it looked as though there may be a 2x4 between each window. Hard to tell on the phone pic.
The Following User Says Thank You to sixeightten For This Useful Post:
Ron6519 (11-13-2011)
Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

you might be right six, wouldnt be the first time i saw wood frame windows installed that way. in that case it could be partially why your new window was ordered the wrong size. in either case the replacement should have been measure the width of the outside edge to outside edge of the rough opening.. thus getting a 3 gang window
Old 11-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #10

The window is 6" smaller than the opening because it was the largest size I could get from pella. I ordered it after finishing the drywall because I thought it wouldnt be a problem getting a window that size(my mistake). As for the head I believe it is a double 2x10 so it should be fine. Is it ok for the ends of the window to not be resting directly on top of jack studs though? Also how am I supposed to integrate the housewrap into the new plywood siding? I have tar paper under the board and batten siding. Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #11
Too Old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xY5...eature=related

This may help you with understanding how to waterproof. I don't agree with the way they wrap the sides and bottom but that is how they do it. When i set window I put the flashing on the bottom then the sides, set the window (that has silicone on the inside of the nail flange) then install the top flashing over the nail flange with silicone ( make sure the top window paper is behind the house paper). Everything is sealed after window is set with silicone I use Novagard sealant. When you tie in the paper on the house put the house paper under the bottom window flashing paper and seal it, put the side paper over the window flashing paper and seal it, put the header house paper over the window flashing paper and seal it. Use a 1x or something to spread the sealant it will get messy.

I am not in an area that has moisture vapor issues and most of the homes are lathe and stucco. I hope this will helps you understand but it may not be the ideal way in your enviorment.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
journeyman carpenter

what size window is it. did you just buy a window that was off the shelf from pella or did you get a custom size window... i can get 7' x 9 ft windows through peter kohler
Old 12-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #13

Thanks anyways. I ended up added two 2x4's to the inside of the frame on either side. Then i patched in 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood with a piece of housewrap between and caulked the hell out of it. I used 6" wide flashing tape over the nail flange and caulked behind the nail flange (except the bottom). The window is under a 4' overhang so that helps to keep any water from leaking in from the top.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #14

Just a small comment, the existing windows look kile they have decent mullions. Are these windows load bearing?. If they are, you have to watch the header beam size when you take them out.

Cheers from Oz.
JoJo-Arch is offline   Reply With Quote