Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New construction windows in a remodel

I'm looking at new construction vinyl windows for a remodel, replacement windows are not an option.
The three window brands I'm looking at all have a 3/4 inch channel on all four sides to accept vinyl siding. The siding on my house is wooden grooved shingles with a 14 inch exposure. What is the best way to finish the exterior of these windows...with or without trim? Running the shingles into the channel? It seems it would be hard to maintain any wood placed into this channel. Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MrTique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

MrTique,

Just an idea mind you but I recently had some final windows installed. Try going to this site (http://www.alside.com/index.aspx?page=501) and see if they have got a local installer. If so, see about getting an estimate.

Best of luck, rredogg

rredogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #3

You would definately not put your lap siding into the integrated j-channel of the window. That's mainly there for vinyl siding which has weep holes that allow drainage if water gets behind there. Your wood siding would not work well with it due to the water infiltration and your inability to caulk the edges of the siding since they would be inside the J.

If you must get windows with the integrated j-channel, I'd advise you to use 5/4" thick trim around the perimeter of the window, which would protrude beyond the J slightly and the perimeter of the window could be sealed to the trim with a bead of sealant.

You could also forget about vinyl windows and get some aluminum clad windows that have wood interior. Unless you want to stay away from wood for some reason. In most cases, new construction vinyl windows really don't outlast a quality aluminum clad wood window. Their main appeal is that they are cheap and largely maintenance free (that is... until they get old, parts start breaking that can't be replaced or no longer slide right.) And I've put in a LOT of vinyl windows.
XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Xsleeper, thanks for your reply.

In the store it seemed that 3/4 inch stock fit into the channel but I didn't try 5/4. Would a composite material be better to use than wood?

I called the manufactures one said you can score and snap the channel off another had no recommendations, said it's up to the installer and the last one said they had a special order vinyl filler piece for the channel.

In regard to an Andersen narrowline install and the vinyl as well I guess...Do the exterior casings need to be shimmed because of the flange thickness? I'll be doing windows in late December/January and want it to go smoothly and quickly. Thank again.
MrTique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

There is no "best" way to finish the exterior.You finish it the way that suits the house and your taste. You mention shingle siding and vinyl siding. What are you eventually planning? If you're going with vinyl siding the window surrounds will probably get capped with aluminum.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #6

I like to use Miratec trim, but there are others that work well. Yes, I think a composite is the way to go. But you could certainly use traditional brickmould as well. Azek makes a #908 brickmould that would never rot. If using brickmould, I'd fur the back out with something so that it was beyond the edge of the window.

I've never tried to cut the j-mould off a window- I'd be a little leary of that. I don't quite understand why they don't have a window without a j-mould.

As far as shimming behind the exterior trim, you don't usually have to, but sometimes it helps to keep the trim from tipping.

XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote