Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #1

Share |

New construction windows

I have my windows and need to do a full frame replacement. The home was built in the earlt 70's. It appears that a felt wrap was used against the plywood. Then red cedar shingles, then a layer of some type of fiber board. I can not find this board anywhere. I was wondering how I would tie in any house wrap with the new window installation. Also, what material would I use in place of the fiberboard that I can not find. Oh and any recommendations for removing the cedar shingles from around the windows would be helpful.

cable911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
SNC

New construction windows

maybe you should reside your house at the same time.

SNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:12 AM   #3

New construction windows

Cedar shingle come off very easily, just a gentle pull will do it. But they should never be sided over, to easy to remove them. I agree, consider residing. But why do you need to do a full replacement, are the frames rotted???
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #4

New construction windows

Well I can't afford to reside the house. The sills are rotted out thats why I need windows. Why can't you side over cedar?
cable911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #5

New construction windows

Shingles are sided over all the time
Its what they did to my house when vinyl siding went on
I'd go with wider trim around the windows to cover up removal of the board
Does the board have asbestos?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 PM   #6

New construction windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by cable911 View Post
I have my windows and need to do a full frame replacement. The home was built in the earlt 70's. It appears that a felt wrap was used against the plywood. Then red cedar shingles, then a layer of some type of fiber board. I can not find this board anywhere. I was wondering how I would tie in any house wrap with the new window installation. Also, what material would I use in place of the fiberboard that I can not find. Oh and any recommendations for removing the cedar shingles from around the windows would be helpful.

First what type of window do you have in your home now? if it is Andersen Windows 1968 or newer, ANdersen Windows has a conversion kits available that install in 10 min to 20 mins and any one can install them. And if not Andersen Windows and your frames are fine, how about Marvin Infinity or Andersen Woodwright insert windows, that if your frames are fine... but if you need full frame windows there is only three clear cut choices I recommend:
First Eagle Windows-50 exterior colors and the best made window
Second is Marvin-priced higher but you get what you pay for
Third-Andersen Windows -Woodwright Double hung or Casement 400 Series- alos check out the new super premium window called "A" Series-which will not roit 11 exterior colors and 10 prefinished stain options...17 exterior trim options

be careful of all other manufactures-you will clearly get what you pay for. What ever you do stay away from Pella Proline, Pella is in a class action law suit, the windows are prematurely rotting...and alot of window manufactures are here today and gone tomorrow... also vinyl windows do not compare with wood...if you have too go vinyl,which do not last as long as you think..look at siminton if you must..

EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote