Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #1

Share |

New Construction windows

Looking for some ball park figures. I am looking to replace about 8 old windows in my home and was looking at getting New Construction Windows. I plan on going with the andersen 400 series low e4 glass.

The home was built in 1972 and these windows are the original. There are 4 windows on the second floor that would require scaffolding.

With the new construction windows I am also looking to have them replace all the trim ans sills. My wifes cousin who does very good work and works with a very large contracting company said he would do the work on the side. He gave me a price of 8500 dollars. Does this sound about right for labor, materials and the windows ?
Giants6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
JOATMON

New Construction windows

This is the wrong place to come for estimates on windows.

Just call a couple of window installers and get estimates....you don't have to buy them.....estimates are free....and a lot more accurate than we will be.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

New Construction windows

New construction windows involve a lot of work, and the majority of the cost pricing that you were given is labor, not materials. You can go with retrofit windows, which would bring down your costs 2/3 of not having to pay in the upwards of around $10,000.00. Cheaper to pay around $3700 to $4500 for retro-fit windows, for labor and materials, than new construction.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
Framing Contractor

New Construction windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6984
Looking for some ball park figures. I am looking to replace about 8 old windows in my home and was looking at getting New Construction Windows. I plan on going with the andersen 400 series low e4 glass.

The home was built in 1972 and these windows are the original. There are 4 windows on the second floor that would require scaffolding.

With the new construction windows I am also looking to have them replace all the trim ans sills. My wifes cousin who does very good work and works with a very large contracting company said he would do the work on the side. He gave me a price of 8500 dollars. Does this sound about right for labor, materials and the windows ?
Impossible to give prices over the internet. Not even ball park figures. You have to get other prices from contractors in your area.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #5

New Construction windows

Thanks for the responses. I will give some contractors a call. I'm
starting to learn there are a ton of variables that contribute to the prices. If anyone can answer if 8500 sounds like a normal price for new construction I'd appreciate it. The windows are all normal sizes.
Giants6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #6
JOATMON

New Construction windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants6984 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I will give some contractors a call. I'm
starting to learn there are a ton of variables that contribute to the prices. If anyone can answer if 8500 sounds like a normal price for new construction I'd appreciate it. The windows are all normal sizes.
Is that 4x4 or 3x5 or 2x4 or 4x5?

Is that for double paned Low-E? Wood clad or Fiberglass or Vinyl? Is that installed or just the windows?

Is that for 2 windows or 20 windows?

Get the idea? It's about par to asking how much a car cost.

My
and
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #7

New Construction windows

Some photos of the existing windows would help. Are you sure they need replacing? If it's a question of insulation, the existing windows can be modified. I'm worried newer styled windows could clash with your 1972 house design, no matter how humble it is. It's like putting on Benhur chariot and shiney chrome mags on your 1972 Toyota Corola. The photos will decide all.

Cheers from Oz
JoJo-Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

New Construction windows

as others have mentioned, you'll have to call contractors in your area for pricing.. . most window suppliers have a list of installers that they use for when customers want them installed as well if they dont already have a contractor

in regards to which type of window to get is better, construction or retrofit.. id go with the construction grade without a question ive installed nearly 1000 construction windows of various brands and roughly 50 retrofits... plus serviced windows that were leaking.. retrofits are the ones i see the most problems with. with a construction grade window, to install it everything around it has to be removed so to set it in the opening.. a properly installed construction grade gets a sil pan first, then the window set into a bead of caulking which keeps moisture out and warm air in, from there the nailing flange gets sealed off with vycor or blueskin.. along witha metal cap flashing to seal the top of teh window. witha retrofit your simply replacing the sashes. theres no overlap of a flashing membrane, just new aluminum cladding and some caulking theres also no telling what sorta shape the old frame is like and hte flashing on it.

fine homebuilding did a article specifially on this topic last year, they summed it up as for longevity and peace of mind go with the construction grade, for a quick fix on a budget the retrofit
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote