Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #1

Share |

New construction Window Advice

Hello,
I am replacing my windows tomorow and Sunday with New Construction windows. I have a few questions before I proceed. All of the windows i am keeping the same rough opening dimensions besides two I am going slightly larger. The Headers of all the windows are 3 1/2 X 3 1/2 which I plan on keeping in place. That is how the house was originally built. On the two windows that I am making larger, should I keep the headers the same (re-use stock) or should I replace them with 2x6 or 2X8? Also any info or advice on going above and beyond on installing the new construction windows? I want to install them properly and I am looking for added steps to insure a good istall. Thanks

bill19765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

http://www.burlington.org/Building08/Spans.pdf

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...x?nterms=63740

Enjoy.
Be safe, Gary

Old 11-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #3

The header size on the larger windows would depend on both the span and the load upon the header.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote