New Construction Window - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

New construction window

When you have rigid foam on your house can you still use new construction windows or do they need to be replacement windows? Reason I ask is because lets say you add an inch or two of rigid foam then your increasing your wall thickness and not sure how installing a new construction window would work since you using the nailing flanges and using the outer framing to fasten it.

Advertisement

markharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 160

New construction window

i do just this on just about every house i build or renovate. just be sure to be using 2 1/2" siding nails to nail through the nailing flange and make sure you order the windows with hurricane clips so to fasten the unit to the framing in the rough opening

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

New construction window

When installing the foam,I leave very little space between the material and the board or floor. If there is any space left ,I caulk or tape it to ensure maximum insulation.

katyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,222

New construction window

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyhome View Post
When installing the foam,I leave very little space between the material and the board or floor. If there is any space left ,I caulk or tape it to ensure maximum insulation.

And foam it in also
Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #5

New construction window

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
i do just this on just about every house i build or renovate. just be sure to be using 2 1/2" siding nails to nail through the nailing flange and make sure you order the windows with hurricane clips so to fasten the unit to the framing in the rough opening
So, you don't necessarily need a replacement window when putting in windows with rigid foam?
Old 06-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

New construction window

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharmon View Post
So, you don't necessarily need a replacement window when putting in windows with rigid foam?

you will need jamb extensions to the inside of the window, but with the right nails the window can be installed like new construction windows.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #7

New construction window

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
you will need jamb extensions to the inside of the window, but with the right nails the window can be installed like new construction windows.
Jamb extensions with new const. windows or replacement?
Old 06-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

New construction window

if your going to caulk the window in place thats on top of foam make sure the caulking is compatible. many polybeutyl caulkings will eat the foam
Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 508

New construction window

So many choices, why is there rigid foam?
Here we use 2" foam and stucco all the time. And then the choice is, are we replacing all the windows, are we trying to match a existing window detail.
There really is not a right or wrong way.

What existing exterior siding and window trim detail do you have that you want to match?
Oh yeah, pics do help.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

New construction window

The extension jambs are for any window where you need them. It is for trimming the interior as needed. Some people will do gypsum returns with vinyl windows but a window, particularly a prime window, always looks better with extension jambs, a stool, and casing.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #11

New construction window

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamper View Post
The extension jambs are for any window where you need them. It is for trimming the interior as needed. Some people will do gypsum returns with vinyl windows but a window, particularly a prime window, always looks better with extension jambs, a stool, and casing.
When you have exterior rigid foam in addition to the sheathing should you apply the house wrap before the rigid foam directly to the sheathing or over the rigid foam? My thinking is the house wrap needs to be the last line of defense against any possible water getting in so I would fasten directly to sheathing. But if you do that you should integrate the house wrap with the flashing, therefore, the window would have to go in before the rigid foam, correct?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

New construction window

There are different schools of thought on that whether it is an innie or outie wrap.

As long as it is done right, it doesn't matter.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
journeyman carpenter

New construction window

no.. the window goes in after the foam is installed. it goes right on top
depending on the type of foam used and the method its manufactured you may not need house wrap. type 2 foam that has a shiplap on it does not require house wrap in some regions.. as the ship lap acts like a flashing so any water that runs down the wall wont leak in and get at the sheathing
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #14
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

New construction window

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
no.. the window goes in after the foam is installed. it goes right on top
depending on the type of foam used and the method its manufactured you may not need house wrap. type 2 foam that has a shiplap on it does not require house wrap in some regions.. as the ship lap acts like a flashing so any water that runs down the wall wont leak in and get at the sheathing
Kirk,

I agree to the extent that the outie install makes for the cleanest look and most seamless installation but there are situations (and they can easily be flashed an accommodated) where you can set the window tight to the sheathing and create the box detail on the exterior.

Not my favorite but I have seen it done properly in retrofit applications as well as new construction.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote