Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #1

Share |

new construction - superintendent + Contractors markup

I'd having a new house built on my lot. I have one estimate (and waiting on two more) for rough plans for the house.

Among the items, was one for "Superintendent" at about 4.4% of the total before the contractors markup (which is 15% right now).

I would think that this would be included as part of the builders markup, them being the general contractor?

Is this common or am I being taken for a ride? What's normal for builder's markup? 15% seems a bit high - is 12% more reasonable?

Thanks
lovesmtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #2

If it were me, I'd wait until I had all my estimates then ask each one about what their items covers. asking members on a DIY forum to guess is about the same as you guessing.

just my humble thoughts ....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

pricing on labour varies from company to company and region to region..

in your situtation some supers might charge a fixed price based on the project, others by the hour and you can also get guys who charge a % of the overall cost of the project
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #4

I have to agree with GBrackins. Most of the posters here are DIYers, not pros (myself included). And since my wife and I built our house by ourselves without any subs (well, she claims she was the GC and I was all the subs), I have no idea what a builder would charge. Probably depends on locality too.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

I have seen contracts that call it out both ways. The 15% is probably about average here. On the few small projects I have done, I included the supervision with the contract fee. I tell customers that when/if I put my tools on, that is not part of supervision but is a separate charge as a carpenter.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

My experience, in my region, is as follows:

Supers: 5% on typical residential projects. On large scale commercial and industrial, it can go less (as low as 3%, but still averages about 5%).

15% Contractor mark-up is not high (I don't understand what you base your "a bit high" opinion on, or the 12% on = Wishful & Hopeful Thinking/Willing - for it simply to be less ??? ).

In my region, typical contractor mark-ups range from 15% to 20% (Dependent on the scope of work and the actual materials).
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote