Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #1

Share |

New construction: Running concrete base under fence?

Hi,
I am going to put in a 6 foot chain link fence and would like to run a concrete base (curb or mow strip) the whole length of the fence. This is to prevent my dogs from digging under the fence and escaping. I have seen this at dog parks and many other locations. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any instructions/guidance on how to do it. I was planing on digging the post holes 3 feet deep then running a trencher about 1 and half feet the whole way down the line. Not sure how to put the posts in. Am I suppose to put the posts in 1st by filling the post hole to the bottom of the trench with concrete, letting the posts set for a week, and then pour the the trench including the remainder of the post hole? This would create a cold joint in the concrete at the junction of the bottom half of the post hole from the original post setting and the top half of the post hole from concreting the trench.
Does this sound like the correct way to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Last edited by aneuploidy; 05-02-2013 at 04:02 PM.
aneuploidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneuploidy View Post
Hi,
I am going to put in a 6 foot chain link fence and would like to run a concrete base (curb or mow strip) the whole length of the fence. This is to prevent my dogs from digging under the fence and escaping. I have seen this at dog parks and many other locations. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any instructions/guidance on how to do it. I was planing on digging the post holes 3 feet deep then running a trencher about 1 and half feet the whole way down the line. Not sure how to put the posts in. Am I suppose to put the posts in 1st by filling the post hole to the bottom of the trench with concrete, letting the posts set for a week, and then pour the the trench including the remainder of the post hole? This would create a cold joint in the concrete at the junction of the bottom half of the post hole from the original post setting and the top half of the post hole from concreting the trench.
Does this sound like the correct way to do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
That's about how I would do it... except that I would set the posts on a small base of gravel so that the holes won't hold water. (rot and/or rust) The cold joint should actually work FOR you, in that it may also give water a place to drain out. A little bit of gravel in there where the joint will be (dump it in before the second pour) should also ensure that trapped water gets out.

I might only do the first pour about half-way up.

Last edited by Willie T; 05-02-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
aneuploidy (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
That's about how I would do it... except that I would set the posts on a small base of gravel so that the holes won't hold water. (rot and/or rust) The cold joint should actually work FOR you, in that it may also give water a place to drain out. A little bit of gravel in there where the joint will be (dump it in before the second pour) should also ensure that trapped water gets out.

I might only do the first pour about half-way up.
Thanks!!!
aneuploidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #4

Why not pour all at once?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Coconut Pete's paella!

Only thing I would do differently is run the trencher first, then dig deeper where the holes go. That way you are not running over the holes with the trencher.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
Roofmaster

I think I would do a monolithic pour with sleeves set in the concrete to receive the fence posts. Like a grade beam. You could form it out, put skewback on top to chamfer the edges and use PVC pipe for the sleeves.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote