Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
Stage 2 newbie

Share |

new-construction/remodel/add-on costs?

Hi Folks,

I want to add onto my existing 1 bedroom rambler. I'd like to add 32x20, but I'd like the new add-on to have a 2nd story.. in fact, if possible, i'd love to have a 3rd. (just one finished room on top, a library/den/study...

the new rooms for the add-on are.. dinning room/living room down stairs. 2nd story for bedrooms, and master bath, 3rd story just small den.

Square footage of the add-on would total about 1000-1300 most likely. I believe i could do the finishing work (drywall, paint, and definately floors. but probably not electrical).

What kind of costs per sq.ft are people seeing these days on such projects? is there some kind of stipulation to the 2nd or 3rd floor that I'm missing? seems like the most cost-effective way to add square feet...

thanks,
Dustin

Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
Contractor

First, determine if your foundation will accept the extra weight.

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
Stage 2 newbie

There is no foundation under the existing home. (block and pier).

I would only go up on the new construction, so I could build the foundation to handle it. Just not sure if it's worth it fiscally.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:00 AM   #4
Contractor

Can't help you with that one, you have to know your market.

Even if I had the inclination to double the size of my home, I know that it would be a tough sell in this neighborhood.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:06 AM   #5
Stage 2 newbie

Quote:
Even if I had the inclination to double the size of my home, I know that it would be a tough sell in this neighborhood.
understandably so- but my house is a 660 sq ft home surrounded by 2000+ sq foot homes. appraised at $185K surrounded by homes valued at and selling at $300-350+... so I know the neighborhood could support the investment, just trying to figure out if it's worth it over just cashing out the equity we've aquired during the boom and moving.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:22 AM   #6
2pyrs

Draw it up and get a good builder in your area to give you a price I am sure he would be able to help you as to what he well do and what you are capable of doing in figuring the bottom line.

2pyrs
2pyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:39 AM   #7

Dare I suggest an architect? Developing a program and efficient schematic layout would be a cakewalk for a good architect and he/she could advise you while you are building & give you names of subs, suppliers, etc. Cheap insurance.

And if it turns out well, you take the credit, if not, the architect can take the blame.

I spent some time in Tacoma in '67 as the guest of a very rich uncle. It just didn't rain enough for me so I never returned.

Last edited by mighty anvil; 10-11-2005 at 08:41 AM.
mighty anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #8
Stage 2 newbie

Quote:
Dare I suggest an architect?
my thoughts exactly. the only reason I would avoid an architect is price. (get what you pay for...?) although I've heard of architects who charged for the drawings, but then took it off the final bid price if they got the project (architects who doubled as general contractors).

My father-in-law and i were talking last night. His draftsman/contractor gave him a very thorough bid, laid out everything from labor, to machine time, doors, etc. that was much more clear than i expected and from something like that I think I could very easily find needed cost savings. I also think what i may do is higher a GC to do foundation and framing/roofing, then I could finish. either buy doing it myself (almost everything interior, but plumbing) or by contracting out the interior.

we shall see. when i start getting some bids I'll post up to give you guys an idea of whats going on here in south king county.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #9
Contractor

marlene, you just hijacked your own thread. You should post the plumbing question in a new one or things are going to get confusing for everyone.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:38 AM   #10

Sorry- I'm not sure how it was supposed to go. I aologize for the interruption, Thanks.

marlenecapps@cox.net is offline   Reply With Quote