Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2011, 03:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New Construction Questions Stained Concrete and Windows

2 questions:

Can i use stained concrete floors if I am building on a crawl? My lot is sloped, but I live the look of concrete.

I have tons of non opening windows in my plan. What is the cheapest way to go here? Call a glass company? Window manufacturer? They are all custom sizes.

Mnay many thanks!
Carrie

smith83695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:10 PM   #2

Can i use stained concrete floors if I am building on a crawl? Yes, but you may not want to pay for the structural needs to support it. See an engineer if you do. Do some Googling to get the idea. Why not build a "standard" foundation wall, compact the gravel inside, and pour the slab on compacted gravel? Very common. BTW: Depending on where you are, INSULATE under you slab w/ rigid foam, ESPECIALLY if you'll heat it. You should have 2" to 12" of foam under the slab, depending on where you are and how serious you are about saving fuel.

My lot is sloped, but I live the look of concrete. Stained is beautiful, and if you are going to lean toward passive solar (and why not?), then stained a slab is a good starting point.

I have tons of non opening windows in my plan. Suggestion. Have you done a heat loss analysis? That is A#1 for a planned house (A# 0.5 could be having someone analyze your available solar and designing for that.) Study windows: solar heat gain coefficient, U value, leakage, # of panes, which gas to fill with, etc. Look into tilt-turn, if available. They seal the best of any opening window. Windows, if not appropriate for your climate, are holes to throw money through, or they may overheat your house if too many or improper SHGC. If you have not already done so, study on buildingscience.com, greenbuildingadvisor.com, some DOE sites, Oak Ridge National Labs, and many other good sites that are not company affiliated.
Study for weeks, not hours. Good luck. j

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
General Contractor

There are many polymer modified concrete products that can be installed effectively over wood sub-floors.

The install process is usually very specific for the product being applied. Usually some sort of tar paper, a metal lath stapled to the framing, a scratch coat and then the concrete overlay product and sealer.

It can definitely be done, and without the extra cost of modifying your existing plans to incorporate gravel and a standard slab.

You'll also get a better canvas for the stain or dye, as a typical slab gets pretty abused in the build process before you would actually want to finish it.
SeattleSurfaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #4

Great suggestions! Thanks for your insightful responses!

Carrie
smith83695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #5

Seattle: Good point. I had not thought to mention the other options for over wood. As for beating up the surface, a builder here just lays Tyvek over the whole floor, and it works fine. (No skid steers w/ chains, though. Kidding.)
Old 03-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Seattle: Good point. I had not thought to mention the other options for over wood. As for beating up the surface, a builder here just lays Tyvek over the whole floor, and it works fine. (No skid steers w/ chains, though. Kidding.)
Its not so much the beating as it is the unknown. Say someone spills some soda and someone else walks through it across the concrete...might not be anything visible but when footprints suddenly appear along with a big splash mark in your chemical stain, it can lead to unhappy clients.

I've seen it happen even after good floor prep.
SeattleSurfaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:44 AM   #7

Seattle: Roger that. I'm not familiar w/ staining concrete, so I gather I best get a bit more educated. I thought the staining was done whilst the concrete was setting. I'll call a local cat here who does it before we get too far along and find out what he wants, and doesn't want, to happen. Thanks. j
Old 03-28-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
registered

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith83695 View Post
2 questions:

Can i use stained concrete floors if I am building on a crawl? My lot is sloped, but I live the look of concrete.

I have tons of non opening windows in my plan. What is the cheapest way to go here? Call a glass company? Window manufacturer? They are all custom sizes.

Mnay many thanks!
Carrie
MARVIN WINDOWS JUST MAKE SURE YOU Measure CORRECTLY.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSurfaces View Post
Its not so much the beating as it is the unknown. Say someone spills some soda and someone else walks through it across the concrete...might not be anything visible but when footprints suddenly appear along with a big splash mark in your chemical stain, it can lead to unhappy clients.

I've seen it happen even after good floor prep.
Been there too many times. PVC glue & solder residue are some of my "favorites"........

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote