Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

Share |

New construction insulation

What's the better insulation;Spray blown or sheet insulation? I was told spraying in the insulation is more costly but gives a higher R rating.

Last edited by jbillups; 01-28-2013 at 05:58 PM.
jbillups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

blown in insulation has the same r-value as fibreglass batts. rigid foam typically has a r-5 value for every inch thick but can vary on what type of foam your using.. spray foam has a rating of r-7 and will fill all voids and get into all the odd spots when it expands however it is 3x more expensive..

locally open cell spray foam runs about $3.75/ sq ft installed, where closed cell foam which has the r-7 rating is 4.50/sq ft

woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
blown in insulation has the same r-value as fibreglass batts. rigid foam typically has a r-5 value for every inch thick but can vary on what type of foam your using.. spray foam has a rating of r-7 and will fill all voids and get into all the odd spots when it expands however it is 3x more expensive..

locally open cell spray foam runs about $3.75/ sq ft installed, where closed cell foam which has the r-7 rating is 4.50/sq ft
yes but i think the spray foam is the best and will provide good result. yes it`s a bit costly but every thing good thing is costly.
paulsmith544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #4

If you can afford it, spray foam (closed cell) is the best. It closes all gaps, is a vapor barrier, and has higher r value. It costs an arm and a leg, and also can be applied sloppily. Open cell is cheaper but doesn't justify its cost.

For a diy, the most important thing to keep in mind is stopping the movement of air. Air disturbs the insulating quality and brings in moisture that may get trapped in the wall cavity.

(Air can dry out the materials, too, but it is better to compromise on the side of dead air movement and making sure there is no bulk moist vapor/water moving in. Rain and leak/condensation in the plumbing.)

Blown in cellulose is not really diy. Cellulose will settle in the wall, so it needs an experienced hand that can feel for the pressures in the hose for enough fibers in the wall that compensates for the settlement.

Fiberglass is only diy material in realistic sense. But it does nothing for the air movement. Stuffing it in is self defeating since you lose the r value. Since I am diy, what I do is this. I look at each stud bay and how the bay connects to ceiling and floor bays. Usually there are ceiling and floor plates that act as air barrier. But all lumber contact points, holes, cracks in lumber, etc, are open doors for the air movement. I use either cheaper caulk (Dap contractor pack) or spray can foam to close all joints in a given stud bay. I press in caulk along the sheathing joints. Then install fiberglass, vapor barrier and seal all opening in the sheetrock. In older houses with board sheathing, I'd use a sheet of 1/2 closed cell panel and seal the joint with spray can foam, then put in fiberglass.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
registered

yep spray foam closed sell. But its expensive. You can also do open cell cheaper. Blown in cellulose is fine. But a mess when remodeling.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #6

It is more cost-effective to add insulation during construction. Know the R values properly before insulation.
leenamark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
JOATMON

I think Oh'Mike has a link to a great discussion on the subject.

Do a search on green building (or something like that). I'm getting ready to go to bed and I'm too lazy right now to look.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsmith544 View Post
yes but i think the spray foam is the best and will provide good result. yes it`s a bit costly but every thing good thing is costly.

if you read my post i basically state that without saying it by providing actual data
woodworkbykirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #9

I do prefer to use blown in cellulose after sealing off top plates and penetrations, etc with spray foam and ensuring that the baffles are installed (correctly). However, I am also a big fan of spray foam and yes, it does cost more. However, if people could spend money on installing two new high efficiency units placed into an unconditioned attic (oven), with leaky duct connections, then they should be able to afford to have spray foam on the underside of the roof, moving the envelope.

adlermark321 is offline   Reply With Quote