New Construction Ceiling Height - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

new construction ceiling height

I am building a new home in the Cleveland Ohio area. I'm building a 3100 sq. ft. ranch. I want to stay with the plans which are 10 foot ceilings and I want to install 8' interior doors. will the 10ft ceiling be appropiate or should I go to 12' ceiling to achieve a proper look? Also does anyone have any suppliers for the oversized (8 foot) doors?

Advertisement

jbillups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 626

8' doors are a standard size.

As for the esthetics, we can't see that from here. In some commercial applications, it is common to use nominal 8' doors with a finished ceiling height of 8'4".

Advertisement

Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 540

I'm not sure if this is an issue for you, but it costs more to heat a home with 12ft ceilings than it does with 10ft ceilings, all else being equal. I guess it depends on whether you want your electric bill to look silly or not.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbillups View Post
I am building a new home in the Cleveland Ohio area. I'm building a 3100 sq. ft. ranch. I want to stay with the plans which are 10 foot ceilings and I want to install 8' interior doors. will the 10ft ceiling be appropiate or should I go to 12' ceiling to achieve a proper look? Also does anyone have any suppliers for the oversized (8 foot) doors?
I like the taller ceiling being over 6'5" makes it feel bigger but you will pay more to heat it as said below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post

As for the esthetics, we can't see that from here. In some commercial applications, it is common to use nominal 8' doors with a finished ceiling height of 8'4".
Interior doors are typically 80" not 96".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I'm not sure if this is an issue for you, but it costs more to heat a home with 12ft ceilings than it does with 10ft ceilings, all else being equal. I guess it depends on whether you want your electric bill to look silly or not.
+1
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,032

May require using wider studs or changing the on-center spacing to meet code; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Many commercial doors here are 7' high...expect to use ceiling fans. The rooms will look taller/boxier/narrower/smaller, IMO.

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 12-19-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

either way add crown molding. it will help make the taller ceiling finish and give the eye something to look at way up there. we had a historical job once with 11' ceilings were the homeowner ordered 18" crown from England for the whole house. I think he called it a conversation piece?!?!
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 626

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Interior doors are typically 80" not 96"
Depends on where you're at. In a house, 6'8" doors are the norm. In a non descript commercial buildout, you will see 7' doors. And where they are using throated jams in class A TI work, you'll see 8' doors.

I've hung thousands of each
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,258

Quote:
Depends on where you're at. In a house, 6'8" doors are the norm. In a non descript commercial buildout, you will see 7' doors. And where they are using throated jams in class A TI work, you'll see 8' doors.

I've hung thousands of each
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't seen much of that but it sound like you have done a fair bit of work in your day.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote