DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

new construction ceiling height

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Windows on Wash 
#1 ·
I am building a new home in the Cleveland Ohio area. I'm building a 3100 sq. ft. ranch. I want to stay with the plans which are 10 foot ceilings and I want to install 8' interior doors. will the 10ft ceiling be appropiate or should I go to 12' ceiling to achieve a proper look? Also does anyone have any suppliers for the oversized (8 foot) doors?

#3 ·
I'm not sure if this is an issue for you, but it costs more to heat a home with 12ft ceilings than it does with 10ft ceilings, all else being equal. I guess it depends on whether you want your electric bill to look silly or not.

#4 ·
I like the taller ceiling being over 6'5" makes it feel bigger but you will pay more to heat it as said below.

8' doors are a standard size.

As for the esthetics, we can't see that from here. In some commercial applications, it is common to use nominal 8' doors with a finished ceiling height of 8'4".
Interior doors are typically 80" not 96".

I'm not sure if this is an issue for you, but it costs more to heat a home with 12ft ceilings than it does with 10ft ceilings, all else being equal. I guess it depends on whether you want your electric bill to look silly or not.
+1

#5 · (Edited)
#6 ·
either way add crown molding. it will help make the taller ceiling finish and give the eye something to look at way up there. we had a historical job once with 11' ceilings were the homeowner ordered 18" crown from England for the whole house. I think he called it a conversation piece?!?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.