New Construction Ceiling Height - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 27
Default

new construction ceiling height


I am building a new home in the Cleveland Ohio area. I'm building a 3100 sq. ft. ranch. I want to stay with the plans which are 10 foot ceilings and I want to install 8' interior doors. will the 10ft ceiling be appropiate or should I go to 12' ceiling to achieve a proper look? Also does anyone have any suppliers for the oversized (8 foot) doors?

Advertisement

jbillups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 853
Rewards Points: 626
Default

new construction ceiling height


8' doors are a standard size.

As for the esthetics, we can't see that from here. In some commercial applications, it is common to use nominal 8' doors with a finished ceiling height of 8'4".

Advertisement

Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
World's Tallest Midget
 
Mort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Methow Valley, WA
Posts: 788
Rewards Points: 540
Default

new construction ceiling height


I'm not sure if this is an issue for you, but it costs more to heat a home with 12ft ceilings than it does with 10ft ceilings, all else being equal. I guess it depends on whether you want your electric bill to look silly or not.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 7,101
Rewards Points: 3,258
Default

new construction ceiling height


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbillups View Post
I am building a new home in the Cleveland Ohio area. I'm building a 3100 sq. ft. ranch. I want to stay with the plans which are 10 foot ceilings and I want to install 8' interior doors. will the 10ft ceiling be appropiate or should I go to 12' ceiling to achieve a proper look? Also does anyone have any suppliers for the oversized (8 foot) doors?
I like the taller ceiling being over 6'5" makes it feel bigger but you will pay more to heat it as said below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
8' doors are a standard size.

As for the esthetics, we can't see that from here. In some commercial applications, it is common to use nominal 8' doors with a finished ceiling height of 8'4".
Interior doors are typically 80" not 96".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
I'm not sure if this is an issue for you, but it costs more to heat a home with 12ft ceilings than it does with 10ft ceilings, all else being equal. I guess it depends on whether you want your electric bill to look silly or not.
+1
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,983
Rewards Points: 2,032
Default

new construction ceiling height


May require using wider studs or changing the on-center spacing to meet code; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Many commercial doors here are 7' high...expect to use ceiling fans. The rooms will look taller/boxier/narrower/smaller, IMO.

Gary
__________________
If any ads are present in my answer above, I do not condone/support/use the product or services listed, they are there against my permission.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 12-19-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 1,684
Rewards Points: 1,032
Default

new construction ceiling height


either way add crown molding. it will help make the taller ceiling finish and give the eye something to look at way up there. we had a historical job once with 11' ceilings were the homeowner ordered 18" crown from England for the whole house. I think he called it a conversation piece?!?!
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 853
Rewards Points: 626
Default

new construction ceiling height


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
8' doors are a standard size.

As for the esthetics, we can't see that from here. In some commercial applications, it is common to use nominal 8' doors with a finished ceiling height of 8'4".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Interior doors are typically 80" not 96"
Depends on where you're at. In a house, 6'8" doors are the norm. In a non descript commercial buildout, you will see 7' doors. And where they are using throated jams in class A TI work, you'll see 8' doors.

I've hung thousands of each
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anti-wingnut For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 7,101
Rewards Points: 3,258
Default

new construction ceiling height


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut View Post
Depends on where you're at. In a house, 6'8" doors are the norm. In a non descript commercial buildout, you will see 7' doors. And where they are using throated jams in class A TI work, you'll see 8' doors.

I've hung thousands of each
Thanks for the clarification. I haven't seen much of that but it sound like you have done a fair bit of work in your day.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cover 2nd Floor Ceiling Height Air Returns In Heating Season?? hammerlane HVAC 4 12-19-2011 04:04 PM
Height clearance for ceiling hung furnace acerunner HVAC 5 06-08-2011 12:27 AM
Suspended Ceiling Min Height? mfleming Building & Construction 6 10-17-2008 09:42 AM
Basement ceiling height? jrepp Building & Construction 5 10-06-2008 09:57 AM
raising ceiling height during remodel marks Building & Construction 1 10-04-2006 02:58 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts