DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   new construction ceiling height (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/new-construction-ceiling-height-192269/)

jbillups 12-18-2013 09:16 AM

new construction ceiling height
 
I am building a new home in the Cleveland Ohio area. I'm building a 3100 sq. ft. ranch. I want to stay with the plans which are 10 foot ceilings and I want to install 8' interior doors. will the 10ft ceiling be appropiate or should I go to 12' ceiling to achieve a proper look? Also does anyone have any suppliers for the oversized (8 foot) doors?

Anti-wingnut 12-18-2013 09:55 AM

8' doors are a standard size.

As for the esthetics, we can't see that from here. In some commercial applications, it is common to use nominal 8' doors with a finished ceiling height of 8'4".

Mort 12-18-2013 01:07 PM

I'm not sure if this is an issue for you, but it costs more to heat a home with 12ft ceilings than it does with 10ft ceilings, all else being equal. I guess it depends on whether you want your electric bill to look silly or not.

Windows on Wash 12-18-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbillups (Post 1279949)
I am building a new home in the Cleveland Ohio area. I'm building a 3100 sq. ft. ranch. I want to stay with the plans which are 10 foot ceilings and I want to install 8' interior doors. will the 10ft ceiling be appropiate or should I go to 12' ceiling to achieve a proper look? Also does anyone have any suppliers for the oversized (8 foot) doors?

I like the taller ceiling being over 6'5" makes it feel bigger but you will pay more to heat it as said below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut (Post 1279967)
8' doors are a standard size.

As for the esthetics, we can't see that from here. In some commercial applications, it is common to use nominal 8' doors with a finished ceiling height of 8'4".

Interior doors are typically 80" not 96".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mort (Post 1280042)
I'm not sure if this is an issue for you, but it costs more to heat a home with 12ft ceilings than it does with 10ft ceilings, all else being equal. I guess it depends on whether you want your electric bill to look silly or not.

+1

Gary in WA 12-18-2013 10:59 PM

May require using wider studs or changing the on-center spacing to meet code; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Many commercial doors here are 7' high...expect to use ceiling fans. The rooms will look taller/boxier/narrower/smaller, IMO.

Gary

hand drive 12-19-2013 07:31 AM

either way add crown molding. it will help make the taller ceiling finish and give the eye something to look at way up there. we had a historical job once with 11' ceilings were the homeowner ordered 18" crown from England for the whole house. I think he called it a conversation piece?!?!

Anti-wingnut 12-19-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut (Post 1279967)
8' doors are a standard size.

As for the esthetics, we can't see that from here. In some commercial applications, it is common to use nominal 8' doors with a finished ceiling height of 8'4".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windows on Wash (Post 1280052)
Interior doors are typically 80" not 96"

Depends on where you're at. In a house, 6'8" doors are the norm. In a non descript commercial buildout, you will see 7' doors. And where they are using throated jams in class A TI work, you'll see 8' doors.

I've hung thousands of each

Windows on Wash 12-19-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti-wingnut (Post 1280327)
Depends on where you're at. In a house, 6'8" doors are the norm. In a non descript commercial buildout, you will see 7' doors. And where they are using throated jams in class A TI work, you'll see 8' doors.

I've hung thousands of each

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't seen much of that but it sound like you have done a fair bit of work in your day.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved