Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2010, 05:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

new concrete, how long to wait to install powder actuated fasteners

poured a 1'x10'x6" slab at the transition of my garage/driveway.

How long should I wait before securing framing with powder actuated fasteners? Or am I better off using tapcons?

johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 14

Personally I like the powder actuated fasteners, however they are normally used in full strength concrete, which typically requires 28 days for full cure. Check with the manufacturer of the fastener to see if the specific product you are planning to use can be used in partially cured concrete.

I am not sure how much strength the concrete requires for Tapcons, possibly the Tapcon website has the data. Typically concrete acquires at least 25% full strength in 3 days, 50% in 7 days, and 100% in 28 days. If you use a fast set mix, you get strength much more quickly.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #3

On fresh concrete, you can use 'common' nails (the thick ones) the following day without pre-drilling.

After a couple of days, drill a slightly oversized hole, insert a piece of tie wire bend in half and a suitably sized nail and hammer it in.

Power actuated nailing is for cured concrete and steel.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #4

"poured a 1'x10'x6" slab at the transition of my garage/driveway. " ------ sounds as if the truck is longer than the garage.... IF extending garage, use wedge anchors after curing if you forgot the "J" bolts. Add a sill sealer under the p.t. plate for a capillary and thermal break from the concrete. http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...-building-code

Gary
Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy View Post
poured a 1'x10'x6" slab at the transition of my garage/driveway.

How long should I wait before securing framing with powder actuated fasteners? Or am I better off using tapcons?
How far off the grade is the top of the slab? What is the framing for?