Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #1

Share |

new Concrete Driveway pitched towards house

I had my driveway poured. I think its about 12' wide and about 30' long. It runs alongside my house.
I thought the number one rule was to pitch it away from the house?
My side door is in the middle of the driveway, lengthwise.
It's threshold is about 2" lower than the driveway opposite the door, and is flush with the concrete.
We had about half an inch of rain and the water ran in, seeped between the threshold and filled half a cleaning bucket, gallon - gallon and a half.
So the guy said he did it like that so that I could still open my door. (I wouldn't have cared if he took it off, I would have raised the door myself, fine)
I had kind of assumed he would dig down on the opposite side and water would pool while it rained, away from the house and seep into the ground if anything.
I'm thinking about what to do. If I had known I would have just had him put downcrushed stone, had pavers delivered and made myself a paver driveway.
He's is willing to tear it up the sections by the door and redo it pitched away and into the ground. It's either that or drill into it by the door, add a drain and have the water go into the septic tank in my rather small yard.
I'm looking for some ideas on which is the lesser evil.
Attached Thumbnails
new Concrete Driveway pitched towards house-side-door.jpg   new Concrete Driveway pitched towards house-view-driveway-edge.jpg  

Francis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #2

What was there for a driveway previously? What height to the door was it? Looks like that basement window will have similar issue, no?

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Please do not make duplicate threads. The other 3 have been removed.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #4

There was an asphalt driveway.
It was rutted, would pool with water.
The door was almost flush with it. I did not get water running inside
Old 06-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #5

I don't care much about the windows or door.
They aren't in good shape.
My neighbor had the same thing happen, except rather than go with the decision I got, on his, they paved up over the bottoms of his windows and door and he had to raise the door up and get smaller windows, and build up the sill beneath the new windows.
I'm not worried about raising the door up. I'm planning to rebuild the landing inside of it anyway.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Why are you here, and not down at the local licensing authority?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #7

Because normal people should be able to work things out for themselves and not go crying to a bureaucrat for help. No my life does not involve anything illicit, I do do work for the government rather frequently as a matter of fact.
Anyway, my question is - I shouldn't have assumed that the first rule is pitch it away from the house and secondly, which is more reasonable? Having sections ripped up and pitched away from the house or having a grate and pump it into my septic? We've had a lot of rain lately, that 1/2" that poured a gallon into the basement was piddly compared to what we've been getting.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Then I suppose you are going to stop paying your taxes to fund that authority that is there just for the purpose of quickly and sternly dealing with disreputable contractors who do shoddy and improper work. I mean, there's no logic to you supporting them if you feel it is wrong to avail them of the services you pay for. You COULD just send the money directly to me, and I'll do nothing for you too.

Is it "crying to a bureaucrat for help" to phone the police when a crime has been committed? This contractor has done no less. It may not be a robbery with a gun, but it is still a form of theft any way you look at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
tpolk (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #9

I guess what you're saying there is that since it was done wrong, I should have him sued or something.

Doesn't really answer my question.

I'm planning on having him rip it up I guess.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #10

make him do it right, as long as people will pay for him to do it wrong thats what he will do
Willie T (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #11
Old School

I've been a GC for about 28 years. If I walked up on a job one of my crews did like that I would swear under my breath about it, accept that this one was going to put me in the hole, then have them jack hammer it up and start over again.

You don't try to put lipstick on a pig, nor perfume on a cow pattie.

The whole thing should be torn out at any place it causes water to flow back toward your house, not just around the door and windows.

Last edited by Willie T; 06-09-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #12

Do not pump the water into a septic system.

Who did the ground prep -- excavation, putting down gravel, tamping -- before the concrete was poured?

Because the slab is right at door threshold level, the grading would have had to include more excavation at the far side to achieve the proper slope. Actually the slab should have been lower at the side of the house and still lower at the far side. It is not desirable for wood framing of the door or threshold to be below grade.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-09-2011 at 12:18 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
uva uvam videndo variafit

Yes, the concrete should slope away from the house (not just the door) and your contractor probably should have lowered the elevation of the driveway. I understand that you are trying to make the best out of the situation, but I agree with making the guy rip it up and do it right.

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote