Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #1

Share |

New Concrete Block for foundation under ground.

I have redone a foundation wall in my basement, 8' high, 7' will be filled back in, I was told to parge the outside and than tar it, do I need to parge it, and what should I use to waterproof the out side wall.

LuigiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #2

Your local concrete/cement place should be able to tell you. Perhaps something as simple as DryLoc will work; it is supposed to penetrate concrete well, and is used to prevent water wicking in. Ask about bituthane on clean blocks, if you don't mind; I'd like to know if that will work there. thanks. j

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #3

all the following prior to backfilling a, hopefully, properly excavated workspace according to osha rules

you don't need to parge it however you DO need to waterproof it including the addn of a toe drain placed in a filter cloth #57 stone filled trench hopefully leading to dayight,,, ' drylock ' type products may rarely work for some but not for pro's - don't waste your $$$ & cause $$$ nitemares later on by depending on it to stop water penetration,,, use fiber-reinforced roofing cement for the wtrproof coating & protect it w/ ( delta-drain OR miradrain )

your block wall should be backfilled in compacted ' lifts ' w/o the use of vibratory, jumping jack, OR plate compactors,,, remember, all that dirt came OUT of the hole & reasonably should fit back in.

we do this work for a living & NEVER recommend ' drylock ' type products below grade ESPECIALLY on a negative-side application

Last edited by stadry; 10-28-2010 at 10:15 PM.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:17 AM   #4

itsreally: thanks for the info. is bituthane ever of use over concrete blocks? too spendy? useless? j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:59 AM   #5

great stuff but you'll generally find it spec's only on commercial OR govt projects, not residential
Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post

you don't need to parge it

I'd actually recomend the parge/plaster coat, as it creates a better/smother substrate to accept the waterproofing IMO.

however you DO need to waterproof it including the addn of a toe drain placed in a filter cloth #57 stone filled trench hopefully leading to dayight,,, '

Agreed.

drylock ' type products may rarely work for some but not for pro's - don't waste your $$$ & cause $$$ nitemares later on by depending on it to stop water penetration,,, use fiber-reinforced roofing cement for the wtrproof coating & protect it w/ ( delta-drain OR miradrain )

Agreed.

your block wall should be backfilled in compacted ' lifts ' w/o the use of vibratory, jumping jack, OR plate compactors,,, remember, all that dirt came OUT of the hole & reasonably should fit back in.

I'm not sure I'm reading this correctly, how do recomend he compacts it w/o the use of any of these?

we do this work for a living & NEVER recommend ' drylock ' type products below grade ESPECIALLY on a negative-side application

No Dry-lock reccomendation here either...........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #7

we'd skip the parge coat in favor of trowel'd on sonolastic but none of the asphaltic emulsion stuff in 5gal pails,,, don't you guys out there gots feets ? our amigos walk back & forth its call'd ' manuel compaction '