Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #1

Share |

New ceiling within an existing room? Is it possible

When we bought our home we removed a drop ceiling in our 5 x 7 bathroom. Problem 1 is we have a fan that was installed beneath the original ceiling. We want to keep the fan, but obviously want to put greenboard up to cover the housing of the fan and wiring. Problem 2 is the shower surround that was installed goes almost to the original ceiling.

Questions I have...Is it feasable to run 2x4s around the bathroom walls and tie them in through the plaster into the studs? If so, I obviously need to run joists overhead to support the greenboard. How can I tie them to the 2x4s running around the edge? I thought maybe using decking brackets??

I have been pondering over a good way to redo this ceiling, and need help asap. I have attached pictures becasue I know this probably sounds stupid, and may have never been done before
Attached Thumbnails
New ceiling within an existing room?  Is it possible-bathroom1.jpg   New ceiling within an existing room?  Is it possible-bathroom2.jpg   New ceiling within an existing room?  Is it possible-bathroom3.jpg  

bennett12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #2

I'd take the ceiling down
Redo the wiring & fan
Then put up a new ceiling

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I'd take the ceiling down
Redo the wiring & fan
Then put up a new ceiling
Thanks for the feedback. However, as you can see from the picture the hole for the exhaust is below the ceiling line. In addition there is only 2x4s above the existing plaster ceiling. There was an attic that was above the bathroom before the upstairs was finished many years ago. Not enough room for that. Thanks though!
bennett12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #4

If you install 'ledger boards' on opposite walls and then install the 'joists' with joist hangers for support, you should be good.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote