DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New Cedar Deck

27K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bigchaz 
#1 ·
I just had a brand new cedar deck installed. It's now been one week since completion. I'm hearing contradicting info as to when I should seal/stain the deck. I'm going to be having heavy foot traffic this weekend, so I wasn't planning on doing anything to it until at least next week. How long should I wait before sealing the deck? I'm using a clear sealer as I want to preserve the natural cedar color. Also, should I use a deck cleaner prior to sealing the deck?:eek:

#3 · (Edited)
DEFINITELY clean the wood before staining. . Sand if you want, but you still clean it. It will help prevent mildew issues as well as removing contaminants that block stain absorption. A clear will last you 6 months or less

Personally I would wait several weeks before staining. Ive stained some new cedar before and it looks nice, but you really have to be careful about not putting too much on. The new cedar doesnt seem to take the stain all that well the first time around

#6 ·
Ok. Now, like I said, the deck is like 3 weeks old at this point. Two posts that support a rail on one side of my deck are splitting. The contractor that did it implied it's doing that b/c I didn't stain it. I think he's full of it. What should I tell my contractor so that they fix this. My deck cost lots of $$$ and regardless of whether I sealed/stained it less than a month out, posts of cedar wood shouldn't be cracking. Don't you agree. Also, what would be possible solutions to this problem? Clear caulking?

#7 ·
No... Posts made of composite should not be splitting. Wood is wood and it does what it wants. I have had $40 posts split and $10 posts split I have had $10 posts not split as well as the $40 ones not splitting.

Stain may help VERY VERY LITTLE to keep it from splitting. This is not your contractors fault this is the fault of the wood. Do not expect a amazingly perfect crack/split/knot free deck unless you paid for the highest of grades of lumber or a man made product.

You can stain your deck when it has dried out... Ways to tell if your deck is dried out. If your contractor butted the deck boards as tight as they could be and let them shrink to a 1/8" gap and there is now a gap then its dry enough to stain. If he used nails or spacers to get the 1/8" gap then after 1 week it should be dry enough to stain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.