Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #1

Share |
Question

New to Brick Work and Repair

Hey guys. i'm new to DIY masonry and am looking to repair some crumbling stone on my porch. I can't work out actually what was done or the type of stone it is that I need to repair it. I can see that the top slab of concrete is an original from the home when it built in the 50s and can see some concrete at the bottom by my bushes of the same time. It looks like the previous homeowner levelled out the existing concrete and placed decorative stone over it (I'm guessing) This stuff is weak and i can pull it out with my hands. I can crack it in half too very easily.

My plan:

1- Chip out the damaged stone and source out some replacement stone
2- Cut it to fit with a diamond blade on an angle grinder
3 -Mortar it up and slide it in.
4- Reseal the outer edges of the existingstones where they meat the top slab of concrete. Underneath is my cold cellar which is another issue (mouldy) Talked to an old man who bought his house on this street when they were being built. Said a river used to run through our properties. Wow...

Questions:

1- Am I on the right track?
2- Anything that I'm doing is overkill...missing anything?
Attached Thumbnails
New to Brick Work and Repair-close-up.jpg   New to Brick Work and Repair-front-view.jpg   New to Brick Work and Repair-good-stone.jpg  

booboohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #2

Looks like you are on the right track.

amuffly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #3

Where to source the stone though is my biggest issue. Not like paint where you bring it in and the colour is matched via computer. Grr...
booboohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Yes, you are indeed on the right rack to repair.

Unfortunately, the slab doesn't have enough overhang beyond the stone, not even enough likely for a drip-edge to be ground in, so you may need to do more of this in the future.

Not sure where you're located, but that stone could be naive to your area. Around here, we have easy access to Indiana Bedford, which looks similar, but only grey in color. There are other options we can order from our stone suppliers, but they're not really interested in ordering a few pieces. If you can find something in their yard that's close, you could experiment with staining it to get it to blend in.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote