Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #1

Share |

new bathroom old house

I bought a house for my daughter in memphis so she could go to school there and not pay rent. Its a 1960's house. One of the bathrooms has a shower leak. Don't know how bad yet. Maybe have to replace subfloor. The tile is as ancient as the house. I'm pretty much a rookie do-it-yourselfer. My first priority is to stop whatever is leaking. What next? There is no bathtub, only a tiled in shower. Should I just replace it with a fiberglass shower since I don't know anything about grout and tile? What should I hang on the wall? I hear different things about green board or cement board or just plain drywall.

pigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #2

new bathroom old house

Howdy Pigman.

Fixing the leak is obviously job one.

Personally, I'd look at re-tiling. Any kind of gypsum wallboard is prohibited by code in wet areas such as shower walls. You should use cement backerboard.

Properly plumbing, waterproofing, and re-tiling a shower is quite a job that will take some time. Can't do it in a weekend for sure.

There are other options such as tearing out all the tile and the wallboard, and installing a shower unit with the floor and walls. That would be cheaper and eaiser in the long run. It might involve some framing to match the existing walls to a standard shower size.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

new bathroom old house

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigman View Post
I bought a house for my daughter in memphis so she could go to school there and not pay rent. Its a 1960's house. One of the bathrooms has a shower leak. Don't know how bad yet. Maybe have to replace subfloor. The tile is as ancient as the house. I'm pretty much a rookie do-it-yourselfer. My first priority is to stop whatever is leaking. What next? There is no bathtub, only a tiled in shower. Should I just replace it with a fiberglass shower since I don't know anything about grout and tile? What should I hang on the wall? I hear different things about green board or cement board or just plain drywall.
It sounds as the lead pan corroded they where popular here in the sixties, the better ones where the terrazzo precast.
to temporary stop the leak this is something you could do over the weekend, even one day. Inspect the shower walls for missing grout,cracks, water coming in from value body, you should remove the trim inspect the condition of the wall material from these holes, caulk this area and re install trim. Any cracks should be caulked. caulk around the base where wall meets base inside. houses back then used some times like in development used these thin trapes under the base. i have seen these rotted out. you might want to open a small hole in the ceiling below to inspect.
this will only give you some time to schedule time to gut the shower and redo it. I would have to say the lead pan is shot. there is no way around trying to fix this but to gut it.
I would use cement board in any location that is a wet area.I have heard hardy makes a product, but have had an excellent result with the cement board.
Good luck. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote