Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Bathroom

Hello,

I've recently moved into an old house (c.1880) and would like to remove an asbestos downstairs bathroom and move it upstairs. To do this, I will be dividing one of the large bedrooms into two by putting in a simple partition wall/door. The floorboards are the original solid hardwood and in excellent condition. We do not need to raise these boards for plumbing, as all plumbing can run through the partition wall, direct to outside. My questions are as follow:

1) Am I OK just to waterproof/seal the floor and have the bathroom furniture sitting direct on this, or should I lay another material over the top and tile/vinyl.

2) Would the joists generally require any kind of strengthening?

3) All the walls (including the existing rendered internal wall) will be tiled. Should I be using cement board for the partition wall, and do I have to do any preparation on the exiting rendered wall.

My wife is hoping for me to start this project in a couple of weeks (no rest for the wicked), so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Darron (Sydney, Australia)

Darron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

New Bathroom

What is an,"asbestos downstairs bathroom"? Vinyl tile?
What floor material are you sealing/waterproofing?
It would help if you stated what joist size you have? How far it spans? And what floor material you're going to put down?
What's, " an existing rendered wall"?
Cement board is used in tub and shower locations.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

New Bathroom

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply. Well the existing downstairs bathroom was constructed in around 1950 and was built using asbestos boarding which needs to be carefully removed and disposed of.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos

The floor material I'm thinking of sealing is an Australian hardwood called Karri: http://www.hardwood.timber.net.au/species/karri.htm

The existing rendered wall is just that - an exiting internal wall which is lime rendered: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_Render.

I will have to come back to you on joist distances, as I'm at work at present. Also, I'm not sure what material (if any) to put down on top of the floorboards - hence the question.

Cheers,

Darron
Darron is offline   Reply With Quote