Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New basement remodeling

Hi everyone, new to this forum. Looks like a great community. I'm hoping to just bounce some ideas off of some of you.

Little back story on my situation. I built a new home a little over a year ago. I am finishing the basement myself. I have some construction experience (mostly as a framer) and am pretty good with most tools. Like most of you I'm assuming, the only way I can afford to get all the things done I want I have to do the most I possibly can myself. I have my entire basement framed. It's about 1000 sqft. It has 2 bedrooms 1 I completely finished. 1 bathroom, which I am working on right now, and will have one rec room that's about 25x20.

I won't load a thousand questions into this post since it's already a mile long but plan on just asking questions as they come up and hope you guys can give me some input.

I just had 3 plumbers over the last 2 days for some bids. The bathroom was roughed in when it was built but I do not like the placement of the toilet and want to have my vanity moved on an interior wall about 5' from the vent pipe.

After plumbing is done, before I hang drywall, what is recommended with use of insulation and vapor barriers in bathrooms? I have heard multiple things. In the finished bedroom I ran r19 unfazed fiberglass between the floor joists. Not as any heat/cool purpose but more of sound Barrier. Is it dangerous to put insulation around the bathroom with all the moisture? How about vapor Barrier, I've heard that can stop it from breathing and cause issues? Thanks

Oh Btw, I'm in Iowa, so it's anywhere from - 50 windchill (right now) to 110 in the summer with 95% humidity

JReuter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 20

New basement remodeling

If you're ever worried about insulation and moisture, use something like roxul.

mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

New basement remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReuter21 View Post
The bathroom was roughed in when it was built but I do not like the placement of the toilet...
Hammer Time.

Quote:
After plumbing is done, before I hang drywall, what is recommended with use of insulation and vapor barriers in basement rooms...
and are bathrooms done any differently?
The current wisdom is rigid XPS board against walls then roxul in the wall framing... no vapor barrier, no fiberglass and no paper facing.
Attached Thumbnails
New basement remodeling-cellar-january.jpg  
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:13 AM   #4

New basement remodeling

When the house was built all the basement walls were insulated. It was weird how it was done, never seen it like this before. No framing done but all the walls were insulated with fiberglass batt then held up with a thick white poly that was stapled to the sill plate then pulled right over and taped. I'm assuming it is local code. I'll snap a couple pics when I get home. I framed outside the already installed insulation so I can't put rigid on the walls. The stud cavities are open though.

I know it probably sounds confusing so hopefully the pictures help make sense of it.

What about insulation in the ceiling (floor joists)? Any recommended?
Old 02-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #5
MarginallyQualified

New basement remodeling

Quote:
I know it probably sounds confusing so hopefully the pictures help make sense of it.
Not really.

At least one of these threads is started every week.
But do post your pictures too.

Quote:
What about insulation in the ceiling (floor joists)? Any recommended?
If the lower level is tempered... then insulation is about sound.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #6

New basement remodeling

Yes the insulation would be a sound proofing thing. Not really THAT important but I figured if it was only gonna be 50-100$ worth of insulation then I might as well do it, but didn't know if it would be a bad call because of moisture.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
MarginallyQualified

New basement remodeling

Quote:
Yes the insulation would be a sound proofing thing ... but didn't know if it would be a bad call because of moisture.
That depends more on the type of insulation used.

Quote:
I figured if it was only gonna be 50-100$ worth of insulation...
hahaha you're a funny guy!

Some more pictures LINK and one price LINK
Old 02-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #8

New basement remodeling

My thinking was just unfazed r19 fiberglass batt. CertainTeed rolls are on sale right now for about $10 right now at my local big box. I believe they are about 30-40 ft, can't remember off the top of my head. The bathroom is only about 70 sqft so it would be really cheap. But not cheap in the long run if I have to rip out the ceiling (I'm drywall one the lid) because of issues with it.

The pic is a bedroom right next to the bathroom I just finished. Thinking of doing the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
New basement remodeling-20131027_135753.jpg  
Old 02-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 20

New basement remodeling

Sounds like you have insulation often referred to as the diaper. Usually a good idea to tear all of that crap out before doing anything.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #10

New basement remodeling

Am I correct in assuming the reason it should be removed is because of the white poly/vapor barrier used and not because of the fiberglass insulation itself? Would you recommend removing it then reinstalling the insulation between the stuff without the vapor barrier? Not that the walls are framed up it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to put rigid board on the foundation walls.

Also, idk if this matters with the moisture subject but the exterior of the foundation was sprayed with the moisture barrier stuff.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #11

New basement remodeling

Well im just getting the plumbing finished today, and will be hopefully finishing up the electrical by next weekend. So drywall will be coming soon.

Wondering your opinions on MR drywall? Ive heard both ways. And what about ceilings? Just regular 5/8ths? Our floor joists are 19.3" oc. I know its really weird, not sure if thats how theyre doing it everywhere now, but apparently that meets code around here now. Total pain in the ass. Have so much waste in insulation and drywall.

I see the MR says its ok to hang on ceilings, but idk if it would be ok with that spacing.