Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #1

Share |

New Addition Guestimates (Shell Only)

I am looking to get a rough ballpark on an addition I am thinking about. Some details:

-Existing house is a approx 40 year old cape in New Hampshire

-Proposed addition would be 24'x24', single story off the north side of the house. The wall it connects to is 26', so there would be a foot on either side

I can draw up the basic plans, enough to get a real estimate when the time comes, but would need to have real plans done for permits, etc. (but I can get that covered)

-Existing land for proposed addition is flat and clean (was planning on a patio there previously)

-All I want (Phase I) is a water-tight, empty shell. Basement/crawlspace, open ceilings, subfloor, cut into existing house. Some minor plumbing work will be required for the existing FHW baseboard that will be at the doorway.

-FHW baseboard would need to be run to keep it warm; we'll do our own insulation.

-I may do siding, shingles, and windows myself, but doubtful (how much would I save? I have the time if needed and have done the work before)

-Rough plumbed for now, if the pain factor will be too great later.

-We will finish the floor, rock, ceiling, closets, etc ourselves over the next year (Phase II).

-Phase III would be finishing off the bathroom, probably a couple of years down the road.

I see pricing for $80, $100, $250 sq ft, but always looks to be finished pricing. I am curious on what the shell as described above would cost. I don't want to waste a builder's time until I know it's worth pursuing. I have a bit of cash and deciding if I invest it on other projects vs. this.

thnx!!

clouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Builders do not mind wasting time for a project that is promising. Sounds like you know what you want.Call a few reputable local guys and they can give you a ballpark figure no problem. For us to do it on here and from afar has no value.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #3

Thing is...I won't start this until next July (I understand the pricing is subject to change). I was just wondering if I start planning on the pool house or the addition. The pool house I will do myself.

I tend to overplan to the extreme, so I will spend the next 8 months getting ready and wanted to go down one path or the other. I hate asking for prices and then say "cool, call you in a year".
Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

At the risk of sounding like I am soliciting business, what you are asking is the kind of service that a good residential designer or Architect can help you find out.

All too often people think that what they need to have done to their residence doesn't cost as much as it does in reality. Then they get a really nice surprise come time to get a contractor.
A good designer can help you with your budget and what you can get for the money. They can not price it out for you but they should be in the ball park as it were.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
Too Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by clouts View Post
-All I want (Phase I) is a water-tight, empty shell. Basement/crawlspace, open ceilings, subfloor, cut into existing house. Some minor plumbing work will be required for the existing FHW baseboard that will be at the doorway.
You want a lot for nothing, To get a price on this type of work is hard to say. You are asking for a contractor to work with you on a design build then you are saying you will do most of the work... Contractors make money doing what they know which would be building. If you want to cut the cost then do not waste the time of the contractor do the whole shell yourself, it's easy.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #6

All fair and legit. See, I know I can do my other project of under $7k, all in. I have more than that to spend, however. So, my inquiry was general in nature....are we talking $20/sq. ft....$50? $100? I totally understand how vague this can be. If/when the time comes, the quoting process will be on the up and up. I have a friend who is a structual engineer, who will do the plans when the time comes. Structually, it's very basic.

Quite the contrary, I have no desire to get a lot for nothing. I am perfectly willing to pay for a project, taking into account time, materials, and profit. It's what makes this economy tick. All of my vendor relationships are built on trust: Do what you say, when you say, for how much you say, and I have no business to shop you elsewhere. Screw me, and you'll never hear from me again.

I have to believe a contractor would be willing to build a shell if given a plan for a 24'x24' square. I've seen lots of houses built with unfinished second floors, and this is essentially the same thing. There's certain work I can do, and have done. I'm also bright enough to know when to pass it along to the experts.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

You seem like a reasonable guy to me, the description of what you want to have done is still vague though. Not really enough information to start even a ball-park figure but what the heck, I'll take a stab at it.

For the shell maybe $75.00 - $125.00 per sq. ft. taking into account your location and what I think may be a somewhat, maybe close maybe not, estimated-guestimated, ball-park, round-about, pulled-from-my-you-know-what, guess on the labor rates and materials cost in your area. I'm in California.

Knowing that free advice (and estimates) are worth exactly what you are paying for it, you can email me an e-check for $0.00 care of my Paypal account.

And yes, a contractor I am sure would be willing to build just the shell as you said.

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote