Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #1

Share |

new addition -- different foundation height.

More on the saga of the the addition I'm planning. its a new 2-story wing connecting to the original 150 year old house.

Here's the challenge -- new foundation will be 2' lower than the original which is 4' above grade. I need to do this both for overall height consideration for the addition as well as a more reasonable transition to the outside (existing porches/stairs are ridiculous!).

Inside it'll mean a couple steps down from old to new. The new foundation will be a block crawlspace connecting to the old fieldstone foundation. The old foundation contains a full basement and is deeper than the new footings will be so I think that will be fine.

my concern is connecting the framing since i believe typically with an addition the floor joists line up and the two structures connect there. so my concerns are how to join the two structures properly and how to handle the transition where my new framing/siding abuts the old foundation -- that 2' where the foundations don't line up?

Hopefully I'm making this clear! all thoughts welcome, and any considerations I'm ignorant of here are as well. thanks in advance. jp

Last edited by oh'mike; 03-25-2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: added spaces
yellowkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #2

is the front wall of the addition lining up with the front wall of the house, or is it stepped back?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

Without some pictures how would anyone here even be able to guess at why you have to do it that way?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #4

totally fair question so i just took some pics to post but evidently I'm not able to -- not sure why but would love to! is this something i need moderator help on -- I'm relatively new here. as to the walls lining up, they will not. the addition is 18'X18' and roughly centered on a 34' side wall -- 9' from the rear and about 7' from the front. thanks again and if i can manage to post some pics you'll see what i mean about the existing 4' of fieldstone foundation and the 6 steps necessary to get to the back door.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #5

How to attach a photo to a post as it states make sure the photos are 100 kb or less

Old 03-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

all of our additions' foundation footings had/have to be dug down to the pre existing footing and tied into the pre existing footing. if you put a footing midway up the wall of a basement foundation bad things could happen, even more so if new footings are brought in from the corners of pre existing and dug there. they would be stronger at the corners of the pre existing but even then need to be footing to footing....
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #7

thx but when i post a reply it does not give me the option of managing attachments and it specifically says I may post replies and new questions but "you may not post attachments". do i need approval from a moderator or something? i did the basic registration not sure why its restricted.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #8

click on the "GO ADVANCED" button new to the "Post Quick Reply" button

Old 03-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

sounds like its nothing major. yes the old foundation floor will be higher than the new.. just create a step down to the new floor. however the main floor of hte addition should line up with the main floor of the existing. .thats a simple case of framing a knee wall on the foundation wall
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #10

Hard to picture why there would have be a 2' differance.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #11

first thanks for the responses and apologies -- i know how to attach photos and do it on other boards its just that here it specifically says i may not and thats usually something to do with my membership or registration so i reached out to the administrators. If i could pst a pic (and will as soon as I sort this out) it would be much simpler so again sorry for the less than clear descriptions. what i am suggesting is a new foundation 2' lower to grade than the original so the first floor would also be 2' lower than the first floor on the original structure. the floors on new and old would be at different heights. hopefully thats possible?
Old 03-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #12

this is an 18'x18' addition correct? I've seen other posts I believe. for a 2' drop in elevation you'd be looking at probably 4 risers (3 treads), possibly 3 risers. It depends on your local code's requirement for maximum riser height. 3 treads at about 10" equals almost 3' of steps into the addition .....

Old 03-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #13

I'd do whatever I had to do to avoid having to have steps.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #14

Hear ya on avoiding the steps -- but with the existing foundation 4' above grade the back porch right now has six steps to climb and its a pain. and yes its 18X18. hopefully i can sort out the picture situation and show you guys what i mean. input and fresh perspective is really helpful. jp
Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #15

you can drop the top of your new foundation 2' and building a cripple wall (2x wall on top of foundation wall) so that your floor joists are level with the existing floor. So what if you have 3 or 4 more steps on the exterior steps? how many times will you do down those as compared to the interior steps? If the long run of exterior stairs are a concern build an intermediate landing.

Can you bring in fill material to raise your grade against the foundation? That's what we typically do around here. May be the best option.