Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2008, 11:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Need wall surface I can texture.

I just moved into a 100 year old house. I'm in the process of remodeling the ceilings, floors, and walls. The walls are covered with crappy panelling that is very old and in some places it's loose and warped. Under the panelling the walls are solid 1" X 12" boards laid horizontally and they do have a very small space inbetween them of about 1/8" or so. I was thinking about sheetrocking the whole house so I can texture the walls but I'm wondering if there's something thinner, lighter, and less expensive than sheetrock that I can use. Is there some kind of panelling or similar product I can use. I just need a smooth surface that will hold texture. Thanks.

DVLCHLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

depends on what you mean by 'texture'. texture paint? plaster? maybe a nice 'spanish plaster' look? if i wanted to texture, i'd just put up chickenwire and plaster away. or, they make sheetrock 1/4", thinner and lighter weight. lots of options, i'm sure the guys here can add lots more. but what do i know? i'm just a mouse.

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 10-08-2008 at 06:57 AM.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 11:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Keep in mind that the thinner you go the more likely you are to have a wavy wall. Aside from the fire protection of sheet rock one of the big advantages is that it evens out the wall so that it looks straight.

Other advantages to sheet rock other than fire protection is that it will help keep the wind out and the heat/cool in. It is also a good insulator from things like fire, heat and cold.

I don't know what the code is where you live but here you can put anything on the wall you want to. No need to sheet rock the walls. My brother in law just did a permitted remodel and he put OSB on the walls and then some roughcut Juniper we cut up on the saw mill. While it is a fire trap that is what he wanted and the inspector was cool with that.

As for texturing you can texture about anything. I have textured cardboard while testing the nozzle settings. I have textured sheet metal on duct work, did a TV once where the masking tape came off, did some furniture for the same reason, textured a plant, a few windows, and got my wife one day.

As long as it has a surface it can be textured.

The issue is will it stick.

Very smooth surfaces will not work well in the long run. Porous surfaces will do much better. Flexible surfaces will be problematic.

The best surface is porous, non flexible and has some roughness to it.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

I'd remove the "loose, warped, crappy" paneling and sheetrock the walls. Use 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", or 5/8" to get the wall back to where you started so your trim works out. Tape, bed and skim coat and you're ready for whatever texture you want. Good opportunity to add any new electric, cable, phone outlets you may want........
Old 10-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the info. I think I will go with 1/2" sheetrock.
DVLCHLD is offline   Reply With Quote