Need Tempered Glass Clarification - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need tempered glass clarification

I thought I had the requirement for tempered glass in windows understood, but then I came across this post in a DIY Chatroom thread called When is tempered glass required? from 2009:

The International Residential Code allows you to place a window as low as you want to the floor, and unless the piece of glass is 9 square feet or larger it doesn't have to be tempered.

That being said, if it is within 24" of an exterior door opening it must be tempered regardless of size or height.

If it is within 60" horizontally of a step or stair, it must be tempered if it is within 60" from the floor, regardless of size.

It's the underlined sentence that has me confused. It seems to indicate that one must have tempered glass panes for any size window located within 24-inches of a door leading to the outside/exterior of a dwelling.

If this is indeed true, I'd be very interested in knowing the safety concern here (what prompted this code requirement?).

I've been reading the 2009 IBC -- the prevailing code for Massachusetts -- and I'm not having much luck finding anything relating to tempered glass.

Thanks for any productive thoughts,
Red

Advertisement

Red Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

It's the underlined sentence that has me confused. It seems to indicate that one must have tempered glass panes for any size window located within 24-inches of a door leading to the outside/exterior of a dwelling.

If this is indeed true, I'd be very interested in knowing the safety concern here (what prompted this code requirement?).
You are correct in your reading of it, as i understand it.
I was under the impression it was prompted by injuries sustained by people running for doorways trying to get out quickly in an emergency, but can't remember exactly where i heard this. Could have been right here at DIY

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

door knob would do the trick