DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need to take bows out of walls.

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  floatflyer56 
#1 ·
I have a building with a catherderal ceiling with loft at the rear. The front part of the building where there is no structural interior walls is bowing out at the top of the wall.

I am thinking of running a rod across between the two bowed out walls with threaded ends on it and then tightening them on the outside of the building. I have no idea where I would look to find something like that or what it would be called??

I have also thought of using a full size log on the interior between the two walls, and then having a bracket support the log, and allow me to tighten the walls together with threaded bolts through the top plate from the outside. I have seen this in a log house, and it would make better aesthetics, but again I have no idea what it is called or where I would get it.

I am guessing I will have to bring the top plates to the walls together by 4-6 inches.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Think about putting some heavy eye-bolts through the top plates. Run a cable into one eye-bolt, then to a heavy turn buckle. Connect that to the other eye-bolt. You can then wind that up a little at a time to pull it back together. After you have it back together, you can decide if you want to leave the cable in place or add collar ties to the rafters and remove it. The last one I did like this the owner opted to leave the cable in place. Depending on how much distance you are working with, you may need more than one. GO SLOW. It didn't sag in a day, don't try to un-sag it in an hour and keep an eye on joints where rafters tie to plates, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.