Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
bkoontz

Rewards Points: 10

Need suggestions on installing Hardiepanel

I will be installing Hardiepanel board and batten siding on portions of a house. When I come to an opening such as a window or a door would you suggest running the hardie panel all the way to the frame of the window/door?....or butting it to the already installed trim? The only issue I see with the first method is flashing above the top piece of exterior trim. I would like to install z-bar flashing above the trim but I would somehow need to insert this behind the hardiepanel board as well to keep it weather tight....if that makes any sense.

If anyone has installed this stuff before and could lend a suggestion I would greatly appreciate it!

bkoontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkoontz View Post
I will be installing Hardiepanel board and batten siding on portions of a house. When I come to an opening such as a window or a door would you suggest running the hardie panel all the way to the frame of the window/door?....or butting it to the already installed trim? The only issue I see with the first method is flashing above the top piece of exterior trim. I would like to install z-bar flashing above the trim but I would somehow need to insert this behind the hardiepanel board as well to keep it weather tight....if that makes any sense.

If anyone has installed this stuff before and could lend a suggestion I would greatly appreciate it!
What are you talking about? Are you saying that the windows and doors aren't in yet and you want to run the siding first up to the framing rough openings and then installing the doors and windows on top of the siding?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The Hardie "best practices" manual recommends overlaying your window trim on top of the paneling. It also has a neat tip about shimming out the trim on top of the window to install the flashing. Here's a link.
bsperr is offline   Reply With Quote