Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Need Suggestions!

Okay, I'm moving out of my parent's house in a few months and I have a task that I have no idea how to get done and need suggestions! I'm a very artistic person, and was never allowed to paint my walls, so I drew on them instead. This didn't fly with my parents until they saw some of my drawings, now I want to save one of them, it's a 4'x4' drawing on one of my walls and it took me 3 months to draw, I don't want it painted over when I leave but don't know how to save it! I thought about just cutting out the drywall and framing it somehow, but it's so big that even if I saw around the drawing it's still nailed into the 2x4's in the wall! Plus, it's an exterior wall so the opposite side isn't another room, it's outside, does anyone have any ideas that might help me?!

krista.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #2

Need Suggestions!

If it is sheetrock it is screwed/nailed in about 16 places under the 4'x4' area. It is unlikely you would get it off without damaging it. I would use a large format digital camera to take a picture of it and have it printed up life size.
Any way you could post this?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:52 PM   #3

Need Suggestions!

Well, my cammra just doesn't do it justice, I spent a lot of time on this drawing, but here is one shot of the whole drawing.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #4

Need Suggestions!

Here's a shot of the lips up close which I'm most proud of, but still you can't see the detail very well in either of these shots...
Old 06-17-2007, 11:56 PM   #5

Need Suggestions!

I'd still really really like any suggestions, money really doesn't matter much, I just have to keep the house intact is what my dad requested...
Old 06-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #6

Need Suggestions!

Maybe get an easel and some large canvas. I do not think you can save it! Even if you could remove the sheet rock it is going to crack and will break. At the very least break at the joint. You could have a contractor come in and remove the Wall and frame it. Repair,Sheet rock and side the wall. All in all you are probably looking in the neighborhood of what 15000.00. Is it worth it?
HAASEMAN2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Need Suggestions!

Why don't you take a good digital picture of it and then bring it to a copy center (of some-sorts) and get it blown up to the original size or a picture frame size...

Basically, if you put any kind of artwork on something that is not your personal property...then it is subject to being left behind when you move on....

FWIW - There are many artists who do work all over the country on public buildings or other areas that they are contracted and paid to do.
It is ''their work'', but they can't take it with them when they are done. All they can do is get some nice digital pics of it and take it with them, in that form, when they move on....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:45 AM   #8

Need Suggestions!

You said it is on an exterior wall?.....your best chance to save it is to cut the drywall around the perimiter of the drawing, then go outside and remove the exterior wall covering....stucco, brick, siding, whatever it is. Then very carefully try to cut the drywall fasteners from the outside using a Fein Multi Master. Where are you located?..
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #9

Need Suggestions!

I'm in Nebraska, I've thought about doing digital pictures and blowing it up, but it's so hard to capture pencil details with a cammra. I'll try to get some good shots of it though and try that before going to any extreme measures.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #10

Need Suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by send_it_all View Post
You said it is on an exterior wall?.....your best chance to save it is to cut the drywall around the perimiter of the drawing, then go outside and remove the exterior wall covering....stucco, brick, siding, whatever it is. Then very carefully try to cut the drywall fasteners from the outside using a Fein Multi Master. Where are you located?..
I swear you must own ''stock'' in the company (Fein) .....

Old 06-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #11

Need Suggestions!

If you do end up taking a picture and are worried about losing detail, remember you can do it in sections. You can mark up the wall in a grid with pencil and take it shot by shot. Anyone with Photoshop or similar can put it back together for you so you would never know it wasn't a single shot. Same is true of doing it on film which should get better detail than digital if you have a good camera lens. Really, the key is using a very good lens to capture the detail and having enough resolution either on the film or digital to keep the detail sharp. Some camera stores rent out pro equipment if you don't have access to a good camera. If money is no object, hire someone who can come and shot the wall for you as they can ensure the right lighting etc.

Most digital print shops (talking the better ones that do custom stuff) can fix your shots for you and print out a large format print. It might be best if you had it done on canvas which is more pricey than paper but if you get it done with giclee inks it will last virtually forever without fading etc. The detail is also very very good with giclee printing. Canvas means you could also get it stetched on a frame fairly inexpensively and have it to take and hang where ever you go, whatever size you want.

Call around. You may find someone who can shoot, Photoshop, and print it all for you in one deal.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #12

Need Suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post

I was thinking someone would notice that on this post...I have suggested to people to use the multi more times than I have actually used mine....lol, I know its not a guarantted solution, but tell me of a better way to save that drywall....Fein is where it's at....lol
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:46 AM   #13

Need Suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by send_it_all View Post
I was thinking someone would notice that on this post...I have suggested to people to use the multi more times than I have actually used mine....lol, I know its not a guarantted solution, but tell me of a better way to save that drywall....Fein is where it's at....lol
So I take it that the tool will also: increase your gas mileage, calculate your dinner tip, remind you of appointments, etc....

Old 06-19-2007, 03:25 PM   #14
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Need Suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post

LOL
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:49 PM   #15
carpentry

Need Suggestions!

I thought I had a good idea, but later realized it wouldn't work....sorry

Last edited by WNYcarpenter; 06-19-2007 at 07:00 PM.
WNYcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote