Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #1

Share |

Need some suggestions here!~ Pictures included

Removed

Last edited by hotiso; 06-18-2010 at 11:28 PM.
hotiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 AM   #2

I never did anything in an Apt unless the landlord provided the paint & materials
I certainly would not update a landlords kitchen
If you do ANYTHING he doesn't like he can make you pay a Pro to redo it

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #3

I agree. I wouldn't do anything until you have talked it over with the landlord first. And honestly, I don't really see anything wrong with the cabinets. I mean besides the fact that they are tilting forward from the top they aren't too bad.
Darien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #4

A stupid waste of money redoing someone else's property. Anything you do he must approve and be satisfied with. If you want to repaint the floor he should supply the paint.

I would suggest you live with it and put the money in the bank.
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #5

Your best bet for the floor is a rug
Not expensive or permanent
Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #6

The landlord is out to lunch 24/7 and he knows anything done to this place is an upgrade. The people before stenciled 3rd grade quality roses across the WHOLE apt. They really dont care whats done to the place as long as its not worse which is pretty much impossible. Plus all of the things that have been replaced, the originals have been kept in one of the storages here so I can take practically everything with me when I decide to move.

Scuba, you live probably 20 minutes away from me max. Im in the Methuen area.

But anyways, I really would like this place to look nice. And Ill get my money back one way or another so Im not concerned with spending a little to make the place noticeably nicer and appealing.

I do appreciate everyones posts and look forward to more :D
Old 06-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #7

Changing anything in a rental requires the landlords approval. If you're only going to be there two years then most changes would be a waste of money. I like Scuba's idea of a rug because you can take it with you. Other than that I wouldn't do any more than cleaning and painting (if the landlord approves). I wouldn't expect the landlord to buy the paint unless he agreed to that at the time you rented it.

I'm trying to figure out how you rented it and did not notice that you didn't like the appearance of anything in it. Or did the landlord sneek in and repace all the fine cabinetry, floors, countertops and wall covering while you slept? I'm kidding with you a bit but point is that "what you see is what you get" is a general rule for most transactions.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #8

Make sure LL approves (in writing) any mods. He may be "ok" with it now, but if the relationship sours he'll just have more ammunition to hit you with if you did unauthorized upgrades. And actually, I'd just grin and bear it, and save the money, but it's your call.

I assume the slope on the wall continues behind the cabinets, yes? IOW, the top shelf of the cabinet is half-taken up by the slope? No stock cabinet is going to fit there. Are you sure these cheap cabinets you can get will even work? As for the brick, rip n replace, sure. But remember you're going to have to pull off the plugs to do that, hopefully that doesn't open a can of worms.

Putting laminate in the kitchen too? If not, how are you going to handle the height transition between the rooms?

Good luck!
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
I'm trying to figure out how you rented it and did not notice that you didn't like the appearance of anything in it. Or did the landlord sneek in and repace all the fine cabinetry, floors, countertops and wall covering while you slept? I'm kidding with you a bit but point is that "what you see is what you get" is a general rule for most transactions.
I viewed the place a couple days after the previous tenants of 13 years moved out. They went to a retirement home. So when I saw it, it had all old carpeting, fans, kitchen was the same. The place looked like a rut and I would never have chose to move here by viewing that.

But the landlord said he was going to replace EVERYTHING. The carpets, cabinets, laminate flooring, windows, repaint, etc. The move in date was a month and a half away so figuring thats plenty of time for him to hold up his word on the deal, I agreed to move in at that point.

After signing the lease a month later (not previewing the place first, dumb on my part I know), I began moving in to a completely bare tacky orange floor (No idea why they chose orange, Im thinking it was the cheapest price so they went with it) with no new anything except these ugly retro orange pendant drop lights in the kitchen that didnt provide any light at all.

So its partly my fault I screwed up on this lease. But I learn from my mistakes and now Im working with them to make this place much nicer.

To make a long story short, I know the landlord does not care one bit about what gets changed here. Either now or down the road. And if he did, Im pretty much immune to anything he can do besides evict me. Which there would be no reason to whatsoever.

I will take more pictures of the place later so you can see the potential I saw possibly.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenL View Post
I assume the slope on the wall continues behind the cabinets, yes? IOW, the top shelf of the cabinet is half-taken up by the slope? No stock cabinet is going to fit there. Are you sure these cheap cabinets you can get will even work?
Putting laminate in the kitchen too? If not, how are you going to handle the height transition between the rooms?

Good luck!
When I say cheap, theyre brand new. I have a friend that works at a retail hardware store that gets 10% over cost so the price is substantially lower for brand new items.

Yes the walls are slanted behind it. And you bring up a good point. Now Im wondering if painting the main parts and getting the panels replaced would be a better alternative. Theres NO room in them though. At least compared to where I was before. I need to do something to get some more room for pots and what not.

Im definitely doing the bottom row though. The countertop and sink are really gross looking IMO. And also the bottom cabinets arent even aligned. And the laminates not on the edges. I sound like a complainer but I want something better while Im here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenL View Post
As for the brick, rip n replace, sure. But remember you're going to have to pull off the plugs to do that, hopefully that doesn't open a can of worms.
Just making sure were on the same page, when you say pulling off the plugs, you just mean the outlets right? Thats not a problem, I have access to the rear of that wall where all the internals SHOULD be.

Last edited by hotiso; 06-18-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotiso View Post
Just making sure were on the same page, when you say pulling off the plugs, you just mean the outlets right? Thats not a problem, I have access to the rear of that wall where all the internals SHOULD be.
Yes, same page.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
Concrete & Masonry

What's the age of this place approx.? How many other tenants occupy the same building? Any kids?

What I'm getting at is that you may be opening the landlord (and subsequently, yourself) up to some real big problems if this building falls under the new EPA RRP rules & you just ignorrantly go ahead disturbing the existing finsihes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotiso View Post
And if he did, Im pretty much immune to anything he can do besides evict me. Which there would be no reason to whatsoever.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
What's the age of this place approx.? How many other tenants occupy the same building? Any kids?

What I'm getting at is that you may be opening the landlord (and subsequently, yourself) up to some real big problems if this building falls under the new EPA RRP rules & you just ignorrantly go ahead disturbing the existing finsihes.

The place is pretty old. Old wiring, still has cloth wrapping on it. 5-8 apts in the building. One kid that is here a couple days out of the week.

I wish you guys could see this place the way Im seeing it. You would see anything I do here is going to improve the quality ten fold. It seems like this post is just going off trail. Or has been off trail from the beginning.

Ill take some more pictures so you guys can get a feel for the place.

Earlier today I got a well approved OK from both landlords and the maintenance person they have to paint, replace, change whatever I want. And if they decided they didnt like it at the end and were that upset, it would never go anywhere. But its not the case at all.

I do appreciate everyones concern with myself getting screwed over. But I want a nice place to live for the next couple years, I have the OK, and what I want to do isnt a HUGE operation I think. Dont quote me on it as Im sure you guys know things can happen.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #14

Based on the fact the landlord has already "lied" to you I would not do a thing
If you do anything without his permission he can withold any security deposit
Get it in WRITING
Verbal OK is worthless
Agreement should state that materials will be deducted from the rent
Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #15

Thanks again for the precautionary information on my well being. Ill rethink how I want to post things so I can get some more positive DIY answers

I guess my living situation is not the usual company managed and owned. Or landlords that really care whats happening to their building.

If we could absorb one thing from this post, my landlord does not care what happens, as long as its better which isnt hard, and as long as the rent is in hand on time. Anything goes.