Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Need some help identifying ceiling material / layers

First time DIY'er and I am installing ceiling fixtures into bedrooms in my house that don't have them. Cut out the hole for the first one and I came across this material and I was just curious what it was.

Here is a pic

Also I am tracing the shape of the ceiling box from the attic and drilling down to make sure I have the orientation of the box perfect (it has a set position on a metal brace I bought - should have bought just the box and then attached it to a cross-brace board in the attic).

Anyways, the drilling down *almost* created a problem on the first one because the drill bit pulled a chip of paint down around each exit hole (bottom left and top right of pic above), both of which were small and extended just a tiny bit outside the extent of the new ceiling hole. I have two more holes to make and I don't want to create ghastly chipped paint areas around the hole if I can avoid it. Any suggestions, or do I have to drill upwards to prevent this?

Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Looks like a 40's-50's plaster ceiling. 3/8 rocklath(similar to drywall) on the joists, then scratch coat and finally finish plaster.

The old paint is apparently quite thick, and pulling loose when you drill. Drill from bottom.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

Thanks Just_Bill, that matches the age of the house. I thought it looked like drywall and was wondering why a previous owner might have replaced the ceiling. But this makes it sound like this is the original ceiling. Thanks
Old 05-21-2010, 09:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Don't know about Bill, but I was a rug rat around then: http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/tps/briefs/brief21.htm

Be safe, Gary
Old 05-22-2010, 01:58 AM   #5

I didn't come along till 25 years after the house was built. Was pretty happy that the ceiling is rocklath as opposed to wood lath, cutting out my ceiling fixture holes was a breeze. Thanks all